Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   NWN2 OC Crash (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100319)

CerebroDragon 01-01-2009 08:50 AM

NWN2 OC Crash

Greetings all

*Grumpy mode engaged*

I'm getting a little fed up with this game - the irritating camera options and extremely linear gameplay has me at a loose end and simply wanting closure to it so that I can get on with MotB.

*Note that spoilerish details follow*

Firstly the Nightwalker avatar wouldn't appear in the Courtyard battle with Black Garius, thus causing my group to do an infinite dance of death around said immortal villain. Thankfully I managed to find a debug script to skip this silly scenario. However, upon resting, talking to Aldanon and heading into the Vale - a conversation occurs, Neeshka disappears and the game crashes to the desktop before any further gameplay is possible. (with the usual Windows message)

I've only just updated to v1.20 with Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir installed. Any ideas on how I can fix this problem? In the meantime, I'll do some more forum searching...

Cheers,
CD

CerebroDragon 01-03-2009 03:27 AM

Re: NWN2 OC Crash

Not finding a solution, I decided to just uninstall/reinstall. Thankfully after patching to 1.05, it became playable and I was able to get passed the glitch and gradually move into the inner sanctum in the Vale.

I am currently sussing out the final battle with the King of Shadows, after dispatching Black Garius. After three attempts, I'vefailed each time at the mini-shadows, who don't seem to stop churning out of the statues. They eventually overwhelm my party, but I'm yet to try delaying Jerro's Web of Purity ability to get the most out of it. Next time...meanwhile, any other tips for the battle are welcome. :)

Greything 01-07-2009 03:43 PM

If I recall, try right-clicking on the statues to target them.

CerebroDragon 01-08-2009 04:04 AM

Thanks, Greything.

I just needed to micro-manage my party's tactics more effectively during the mini-shadows phase to maxmise damage to them and to ensure my spell casters didn't get overwhelmed. So lots of area effect spells, buffing and retreating where necessary to stop them ganging up on one character.

But yes, I have since managed to go on and beat the King of Shadows thankfully. Listening to Ammon Jerro is the easiest way to stay ahead in the final phases as well as a general strategy of keeping the big King Shadow abomination busy whilst others are hacking the statues.
I gave the gith sword to Casavir in the end in order to make the final act of destroying the portal go a little faster.
Here's some final reflections on the group that I had in the end, all of whom were still alive.

PC (Wizard level 19)
Khelgar (Couldn't have done it without him!)
Casavir (Didn't use him throughout the campaign much at all, but he proved critical in the final fight)
Grobnar (I barely used him in the OC, but he ended up being quite handy in his ability to spam Ice Storms, heal and cast great spells like haste and greater heroism)
Zhaejve (Well timed high level spells worked wonders)
Ammon Jerro (Despised him really and didn't want to use him and was frankly surprised that he didn't turn on me).
Sand (Probably my favourite NPC from the OC...was targetted regularly and resurrected a couple of times.)

Looking forward to Mask of the Betrayer, but I'm hoping it's less linear and less forceful on party choice than the OC was...