Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   HELP! Can't duel class (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59249)

Chrispi 11-23-2001 02:58 PM

I would like to duel class a fighter to a mage, for the obvious reasons, I am playing a human fighter, I ahve the requisites for a mage, (I think), but I start of the game and can't dual class, where as when I pick up Yoshimo, he can dual class. What is happening.
Thanks

Madman-Rogovich 11-23-2001 03:07 PM

Hm im not a great fan of Duel classing..but if i remember isnt yoshimo level 11 when you meet him what level are you in this scenario because i dont think at the lower levels you can duel class atall i certainly dont think its wise... better to wait till yer an Azzkikr ( my drow elf assassin 's name!)

Chrispi 11-23-2001 03:13 PM

What level do you suggest? Cause you start off at level 7 or 8, not bad really. Also say if I was a kensai fighter could I dual class to a conjuror?
By the way where abouts in scotland you from?

Chrispi 11-23-2001 03:27 PM

What level do I have to get too in SoA before I can dual Class then?
Thanks

Madman-Rogovich 11-23-2001 03:41 PM

im not 100% mate but ill bump this so someone else'll tellya

JR Jansen 11-23-2001 04:33 PM

You should be able to dual class at any level, wether that is wise is another thing. For fighters i would recommand to dual at level 9.
The reason why you can't dual class can be one of the following.
1. You are playing a non human char. (not applicable in your case)
2. You are playing a class that can't dual class, like a paladin.
3. You are playing a class that can't dual class to a mage, like ranger.
4. The prime requisites for the dual class aren't met. You should have 15 in the prime requisite for the first class (in your case the fighter class), and iirc, that has to be strength, and 17 in the prime requisite of the second class (in your case mage), wich is intelligence.
5. Their is an alignment requisite (not applicable in your case but mostly forgotten by people who want to dual to a druid)
And you can dual to a conjurer.

Chrispi 11-23-2001 05:28 PM

U rock Jansen, you are the ono. [img]graemlins/starwars.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/1drowndead.gif[/img]

Chrispi 11-23-2001 05:30 PM

U rock Jansen, you are the ono. [img]graemlins/starwars.gif[/img]

JR Jansen 11-23-2001 06:30 PM

Just curious, but what was the problem in this case of dual classing ?

Chrispi 11-23-2001 06:37 PM

It was the high scores in the stats for each class. Doh. Anyway you've played ToB right, and SoA, so what is the best weapon or weapons to specialize in for dual weilding, and if i dual class to a mage from a fighter, when the xp levels equal out and i can use the fighter things again, can i add proficiences to the fighter weapons and take them up to GM level?
Thanks [img]graemlins/egypt.gif[/img]

JR Jansen 11-23-2001 06:44 PM

I would say go with longswords for dual wielding.
I don't think you can put proficencie points in weapons classes once the second class exeeds the first one. You merely get your stuff back but the remainder of the game you'll be playing as a mage. So if you want to dual to a mage and dual wield long swords, put as much proficencie points in longswords and dual wield. When you dual at level 9, you should be able to put 5 stars in longswords and 2 in dual wield. Then if you dual to a mage, put your points in something else. I'm playing right now as a fighter dualed to a cleric and have 5 stars in warhammer and 2 in sword and shield style and am kicking myself for not putting them in dual wield. Bah, anyway, i do have a very low AC so it's not that bad.

Chrispi 11-23-2001 06:44 PM

By the way what weapon class is the Crom Faeyr? [img]graemlins/egypt.gif[/img]

Oz 11-23-2001 06:46 PM

Hi there... just a piece of advice... Mage/Fighter bad idea. THe fighter will have all of the mage restrictions on wepons and can't cast magic with armor on and mages don't do so well at the forefront of the fighting because if they get hit their spells are lost. Many other things dual-class well with a mage however.

JR Jansen 11-23-2001 06:48 PM

Crom Fayer is a warhammer and a figther dualed to a mage might be a bad idea but a kensai dualed to a mage is a totaly different thing.

Chrispi 11-23-2001 06:50 PM

Suppose you have a point there but with dual classed kensai to mage, a kensai cant wear armour anyway, and once at the level my dual classed mage can use the kensais swords again, and if the ac low enough with enough protection spells on him, he might just rarely be hit, (i hope). [img]graemlins/egypt.gif[/img]

JR Jansen 11-23-2001 06:50 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oz:

It is a two-handed sword useable only by paladins
<hr></blockquote>

That's not the case.

Barry the Sprout 11-23-2001 06:50 PM

I think you can continue adding prof points all the way. You can with Anomen so I assume everyone else can do it too. Fighters get six stars at the begginning right? I would recommend this combo myself:

Long Sword ** (and get the Daystar early on. By god that sword kicks a$$)
Katana ** (and use the Dakkon Zerth Blade. You have to have the add on items for that - but you can download them from somewhere I am sure)
Two Weapon Style **

When you go to a mage give them the prof point in sling (you don't get the option of adding it to your existing ones. You count as a mage until you get to one level higher than you dualled at, so no long swords or katanas for a while). You want to keep the char away from monsters where possible due to appalling ThAC0 so a missile weapon is a good idea.

When you have the fighter skills back keep adding to the above weapons. I recommend adding to Two Weapon Style first as otherwise you will consistantly miss everything with both weapons. The penalties to ThAC0 are quite large unless you have maxed out in this.

Oz 11-23-2001 06:52 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JR Jansen:

That's not the case.
<hr></blockquote>

Lol i know, deleted the post...

Oz 11-23-2001 06:54 PM

If you are a mage i don't think you can add more than one porf point into a wepon or wepon style... Maybe it's just me but i prefer non-dualclassed chars... they gain their respective skills far faster.

Chrispi 11-23-2001 06:56 PM

But then how about dual weilding kensai, with profiences in hammer flail, to be able to use the crom faeyr(if it is one handed- i hope it is!), and to be able to use the flail of ages +3 or +5,, then dual with the mage at level 9 or 13.! Juat a thought! [img]graemlins/egypt.gif[/img]

Dundee Slaytern 11-23-2001 11:33 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oz:
If you are a mage i don't think you can add more than one porf point into a wepon or wepon style... Maybe it's just me but i prefer non-dualclassed chars... they gain their respective skills far faster.<hr></blockquote>

Dude, go get Anomen. He is a very good example of a Dualled Fighter->Cleric.

Now, pure Clerics can only have 1* in any of their weapons right? However... Anomen dualled from a Fighter, so he can put 5* in any of his Clerical weapons.

This applies to Fighter->Mages too, and by the way, Kensai->Mages can wear robes.

Chrispi 11-24-2001 07:47 AM

so is the celestial fury a scimitar?
Also once my mage has caught up with the fighter level, can I then use the proficiences i get when gaining mage levels on any of the fighter weapons, even if i initially had no points in them before dual classing, and take them up to GM level? [img]graemlins/egypt.gif[/img]

Dundee Slaytern 11-24-2001 08:23 AM

Celestial Fury is a Katana.

Ironically, when I first found it, I felt it was useless and sold it. Cute huh? ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img] ;)

Chrispi 11-24-2001 08:36 AM

If I play through bg 1 and TotSC, i can't put my proficiences into katana, two weapon style etc., so when i then start SoA, do I get to reallocate all my proficiency points to what ever I like, or have the points i've put into say blunt weapons got to go into maces or hammers. Know what I mean? [img]graemlins/egypt.gif[/img]

Evil Dead Raven 11-24-2001 08:44 AM

you get to relocate them.

Chrispi 11-24-2001 08:55 AM

cool. I think i am set on my course then, fighter through BG1 and TotSC, max out on HP and tomes to increase stats, then import to SoA, reallocate to katanas, dualweilding, hammer and maybe a long or bastard sword, change to Kensai kit, wait till 13 level, then dual to mage. I guess this isn't really very original, but it sounds eversomuch fun, and i get to continue a character all the way through the lot to ToB. Good idea? [img]graemlins/egypt.gif[/img]