Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Special Delivery! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87658)

Reeka 09-10-2003 10:37 AM

I was debating about whether to put this is "Current Evets" or not, so if it needs to be moved, please do so.

A man mailed himself home to his parents. He mailed himself in an airport big wooden crate from New York to the parents in Dallas, Texas. He was marked "Special Delivery---Saturday." In Dallas when he was delivered to his parents' home, he got out of the crate, but the delivery man was still there. Frightened, the delivery man called the police.

The police arrived and arrested the man, but apparently it is not illegal to mail yourself to somebody----he was arrested because he had outstanding warrants in the state of Texas.

He should have not been so cheap and paid the extra for a plane ticket.

Cloudbringer 09-10-2003 10:45 AM

Heard that on the news this morning...some people will do anything to save a buck. He's lucky he didn't freeze or they didn't have to depressurize the cargo hold!

Faceman 09-10-2003 12:55 PM

There's a Viennese pop/folk song from about 20 years ago that goes:
"Schick di do selber deiner Freundin in an Packl"
suggesting: "Just mail yourself to your girlfriend in a package" as a birthday surprise. It's a rather zynical song as it ends with the grilfriend not being able to open the package and chopping down the crate as well as her boyfriend in the end.

Reeka 09-10-2003 01:04 PM

That is rather gruesome, Faceman. All the airport authorities are naturally in quite a state about it. They are investigating how this could happen with the supposedly tight airport security nowdays.

Bardan the Slayer 09-10-2003 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Reeka:
That is rather gruesome, Faceman. All the airport authorities are naturally in quite a state about it. They are investigating how this could happen with the supposedly tight airport security nowdays.
Hmm ... that angle didn't occur to me immediately. Are we going to start seeing Suicide Bomber By Mail? I sure hope not :(

And yeah - they guy's lucky he didn't freeze. He must have packaged himself rather thoroughly.

Azred 09-10-2003 10:55 PM

<font color = lightgreen>A friend of Mr. McKinley told him "I can get you from New York to Dallas for free" and apparently he never bothered to ask how. When he got the the shipping warehouse, didn't he question his accomodations? Mr. McKinley also stated that his friend had done this for other people in the past, which is what has Federal authorities so worried.

Next time he wants to go somewhere inexpensively, my advice is to take the bus!</font>