Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I got Guild Wars :) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90841)

Timber Loftis 01-11-2006 06:44 PM

Can this game be played with a 8MB or 16MB vid card? I'm wondering because the wife is interested in playing it.

Kakero 01-11-2006 06:53 PM

Minimum is 32MB vid card. How did you play WOW ?

Luvian 01-11-2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kakero:
I reinstall Guild War yesterday and said hi to Luvian. But to my horror the graphic is horrible. I swear it wasn't like this when I first played it in april last year.

Played a bit with a brand new warrior. No problem with that. Tried to replay back my lv20 r/mo and failed horribly. You know I just went out of town ( the place where you can have 8 people ) without hiring any hirelings ( I forgot ) and tried to kite the first monster.uhh... :rolleyes:

Ouch! I go out of Droknar with a 7 henchman group and get owned, solo would be painfull...

Personally I like the graphics, they are realistic but still have a cartoony feel, but then again the WoW graphics are old to me. What graphic setting are you using?

[ 01-12-2006, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]

Timber Loftis 01-12-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kakero:
Minimum is 32MB vid card. How did you play WOW ?
I'm asking for my wife's computer. ;)

T-D-C 01-12-2006 04:16 PM

I manages to play it on lowest setting on a 32MB Geforece MX400 and it was fine.

Im now running on a FX5200 128 a (picked up for $40 AUD) and it runs even better.

Assassin 01-12-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Luvian:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kakero:
I reinstall Guild War yesterday and said hi to Luvian. But to my horror the graphic is horrible. I swear it wasn't like this when I first played it in april last year.

Played a bit with a brand new warrior. No problem with that. Tried to replay back my lv20 r/mo and failed horribly. You know I just went out of town ( the place where you can have 8 people ) without hiring any hirelings ( I forgot ) and tried to kite the first monster.uhh... :rolleyes:

Ouch! I go out of Droknar with a 7 enchman group and get owned, solo would be painfull...

Personally I like the graphics, they are realistic but still have a cartoony feel, but then again the WoW graphics are old to me. What graphic setting are you using?
</font>[/QUOTE]After a while, all that's left is trying to solo as many areas as you can with your characters. I can solo imps just fine using my Ranger, trying to see how the bloody heck people solo stone summit.

Quote:

Well I completed the game a couple of days ago. I'm now working on a couple more characters and pvping all the time.

The pvp here is way better than in WoW in my opinion. It's instant and fast paced, but playing a monk I need to rant a little.

I so hate it when people get wounded and start running away from the ennemy and in the process from ME too. How am I supposed to keep them alive. Run TOWARD me.

Stop going off alone dammit! Play as a group, it piss me off when I spend all my time trying to survive the 3 warriors running after me and keeping the group alive, but their team is all at 50% because either my team is switching target mid fight or just not calling their attacks.

Bring a damned rez sig. I've lost more games because the guys couldn't rez than for any other reason. We'll be winning, someone will get lucky and down me and the idiots on my team won't be able to rez me and will get killed.

I must says that you finished the game much quicker than most people I know. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I personally haven't really played much pvp, but yes, in CA, you have to be prepared to have really bad teammates, if you're a monk. If you're not a monk, then you have to be prepared to heal/protect yourself and be self sufficient. Oh, and the reason the combat's so fun is because it's so fast-paced, in my opinion.

BTW, how could a standard degen ranger (Hunter's Shot, Crippling, Apply Poison, Troll's Unguent, Rez signet, Distracting, Whirling Defense, Storm Chaser) work in CA? Bascially, just degen as many people as possible, kiting/crippling when people focus on me and hitting Whirling ASAP. However, there's that weakness to hexes, so would Hex Breaker be better in place of Whirling?

[ 01-12-2006, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]

Timber Loftis 01-12-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by T-D-C:
I manages to play it on lowest setting on a 32MB Geforece MX400 and it was fine.

Im now running on a FX5200 128 a (picked up for $40 AUD) and it runs even better.

Thanks. I can't upgrade the vid card -- it's a laptop. It's my old Sony. It works fine for most of her uses, but I don't know how it will handle a game like Guild Wars. It played the first Dawn of War fine, I think.

Okay, if I install this game on her computer and it doesn't work, how hard is it to install it on a different computer? Do I have to get super secret permission?

Bozos of Bones 01-12-2006 04:46 PM

Whe you get GW, you can install it wherever you like, it's the account that matters. And, you can play with your account on any installation of GW, regardless if it is your own or your neighbour's.

Luvian 01-12-2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Assassin:

BTW, how could a standard degen ranger (Hunter's Shot, Crippling, Apply Poison, Troll's Unguent, Rez signet, Distracting, Whirling Defense, Storm Chaser) work in CA? Bascially, just degen as many people as possible, kiting/crippling when people focus on me and hitting Whirling ASAP. However, there's that weakness to hexes, so would Hex Breaker be better in place of Whirling?

Well, my favorite anti Hex skill is Melandru's Resilience. It gives you +2 Health regeneration and +1 Energy regeneration for each Condition and Hex you are suffering. So you're not stoping them, but the health regen compensate, and the energy regen really come in handy. If you've just been targetted by that necro of mesmer, it may give you something like +10 health and +5 energy regen.

I think skills like Hex Breaker aren't that usefull, they remove one Hex every 15-20 seconds, but in reallity when an hexer go after you he cast much more than that.

Personally, I really like (or rather really hate) interrupt rangers. Even in CA there are monks. If you can disable the ennemy monk, or even just the mesmer or necro, your teams is much better off. Go memser secondary, get Migraine and Arcane Conundrum, load up all your interrupt skills, and that caster won't be able to do anything.

[ 01-12-2006, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]

Kakero 01-12-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Last time I was using AMD1.2G, 512RAM and Radeon 8500. Guild War looks awesome but WOW sucks ( Got used to GW graphic ). Now I'm using AMD 3.1G , 1024RAM and Radeon 700x. WOW looks awesome but Guild War sucks ( Got used to WOW graphic ).