Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Ziroc you are tecnically incorrect on the god of the dead.... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75006)

Tiamat 05-12-2002 12:34 PM

Ever heard of a guy called Osiris? He is the king of underworld ie the dead too. The other god that deals with death is Anubis, god of mummification. I did a project on Death and Dying for egypt and I have never heard of that goddess. Unless you have generated your own deity of the dead, thats incorrect IMO.

<font color=skyblue> I wouldn't bet 1 penny on this but I've never heard of that goddess either.</font>

Tiamat 05-12-2002 12:43 PM

Finally! some one that DOESNT critize me! YAY! :deadly1:

Jerome 05-12-2002 01:10 PM

Does anyone give a shit... really? :rolleyes:

The new avatar rocks, leave it at that. ;)

Cyril Darkcloud 05-12-2002 01:14 PM

<font color=silver>Tiamat - You are correct that in the most common presentations of the religious traditions of ancient Egypt the gods Osiris and Anubis are the two associated with the underworld.

These presentations, while they are useful introductions to this very complex tradition, do not provide the full listing of deities and other divine beings that received religiuous devotion over the very long and complex history of ancient Egypt.

A number of deities were associated with death and dying in Egyptian religious thought and practice. Here is a list of some of them:

<font color=turquoise>Khentimentiu - The Egyptian god who rules the destiny of the dead, seen as the guardian 'dog of the dead'.

Nephthys - The "Mistress of the House" (Nebet-het or Nebt-het in the Egyptian Language), Nephthys is the "Friend of the Dead," and is first mentioned in Old Kingdom funerary literature as riding the "night boat" of the underworld, meeting the deceased king's spirit and accompanying him into "Lightland." Her hair is metaphorically compared to the strips of cloth which shroud the bodies of the dead

Chontamenti - The Egyptian god of the dead and of the land of the west. He was portrayed as a dog, or as dog's head, with horns.

Ament - An Egyptian goddess who lived in a tree at the edge of the desert where she watched the gates of the afterworld, welcoming the newly dead with bread and water.</font>

For those interested in mythology, here is a very good online resource:</font>

http://www.pantheon.org/mythica.html

Talthyr Malkaviel 05-12-2002 01:23 PM

Darn, Cyril beat me to it, and more in depth too it would seem, I was just going to say that, as with other religions, they can have many different gods/deities representing dimilar aspects, for example one may be god of the undeworld etc, and one maybe god of death and destruction.

Bahamut 05-12-2002 01:27 PM

I wish it was Ament.. better name :D

/)eathKiller 05-12-2002 08:01 PM

*still wishes he had a custom title called "Otaku" that looked something like this

Cloudbringer 05-12-2002 08:16 PM

Who cares.. I like her.. :D

Ziroc 05-12-2002 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tiamat:
Ever heard of a guy called Osiris? He is the king of underworld ie the dead too. The other god that deals with death is Anubis, god of mummification. I did a project on Death and Dying for egypt and I have never heard of that goddess. Unless you have generated your own deity of the dead, thats incorrect IMO.
You need to read more carefully Tiamat.

----
Nephthys
(Greek form; Egyptian Neb-hut, Nebthet)
"Mistress of the House". Egyptian goddess of the dead. Daughter of Geb and Nut. Sister of Isis, Osiris and Seth. According to one tradition, she was also the mother of Anubis by Osiris. Her principal sanctuary was at Heliopolis. Along with Isis, she was one of the guardians of the corpse of Osiris. Depicted in human form wearing a crown in the form of the hieroglyph for house. Sometimes depicted as a kite guarding funeral bier of Osiris.
----

You notice it says GODDESS and not GOD? Believe me Tiamat, I know a HELL of a lot more that YOU DO about Egypt.

You have some nerve TRYING to publicly make me look bad, but it backfired. lol. you are foolish indeed.

As Cyril said. there are more than one.