Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Looking for a new (old) Game (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32402)

Loudhy 09-08-2003 06:40 AM

Greetings,

I am still playing Wizardry 8 but I believe the next victory will be the last.

I am searching for a game with a party so I thought about Wizard & Warriors.
But I'm not sure because I read some posts and it seems to me that there are
many bugs in the game that where never patched.

Can you give me a bit more information about that ?

Thank you

WillowIX 09-08-2003 07:26 AM

Welcome to the board Loudhy. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

No I don't think there are many bugs in the game. Not many lethal ones anyway. Most bugs are actually quite the opposite, allowing you to "cheat". ;)

There are some technical problems with the game though. But there are fixes for, well if not all, most of them. Browse through the tech thread and you'll get a look at the problem's that can arise in the game. But I do believe we have managed to make solve most problems. No one has had to leave the game unplayed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Wyvern 09-08-2003 07:40 AM

Welcome to the board, Loudhy!!!

While there are a few bugs in W&W that were not resolved by the unofficial patch, they are not "game killers". I don't ever recalling us not being able to solve a problem for a poster. The Tech thread covers all the most important known problems and explains the solutions. Many of the "bugs", as Willow said, are not problems but allow you to, for example, get rich quick, raise your hit points. Others sort of leave some parts of the story hanging but none of them make the game unplayable. This game is 4 years old and this board is still very active - it's a great game!

W&W is a wonderfully flexible game particularly when it comes to character development. Players have made so many variations on how to play, solo characters, strict limitations, etc. just to create a new challenge when playing again. I know of very few games that stand up to so much replaying as does W&W.

The game is inexpensive at this point and well worth a try! I hope you will enjoy it very much and we're here should you need any help, technical or other! :D

Wyv

Radek 09-08-2003 08:11 AM

The bugs aren't few [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] but - as Willow and Wyvern have said - they aren't game killers. In fact, they are enhancing the game!
You can ignore the bugs and do not take any advantage from them if you want. You can search for surprising ways of finishing the tasks ahead by taking advantage from some bug or misunderstanding in the game if you want. You can develop interesting game strategies based on some bug or misunderstanding if you want. But again, you need not want.
There are very few nasty bugs in the game that can prevent you from finishing some tasks. An example: one villager standing in a water pool in the Toad Village can prevent you from reaching the village shaman. But there exist solutions of that problems. As far as our example is considered, you have to run and be in the pool sooner than the villager. It's easily possible.
Another problem is windows 2000 and XP. The game was written for windows 98 and it is highly incompatible with windows 2000 and XP. But it is not a problem of the game, it's a problem of incompatibility of different kinds of windows among themselves. Be prepared for serious problems when you will try to run the game under windows 2000 or XP. At any rate, you should be able to put to work most of game features even under windows 2000 or XP.

bsftcs 09-08-2003 09:22 AM

Welcome to the board. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

There is a single ring, which is not that important, that one cannot equip due to the bug. There is also a trait that does not work in an unpatched game, but then again some traits that are in the manual even seem to be omitted in the released game.

Those are the two biggest problems in the unpatched version of the game and they can hardly be described as a problem.

I definitely recommend playing the game without using the patch.

macoati 09-08-2003 08:02 PM

As Radek stated, Windows 2k and XP will cause serious problems. However, I play W&W on XP and have completed the game at least 4 times. The fix for the problems associated with 2k and XP is a bit involved but will simply take you about 30 mins of work...and none of it all that hard. The Tech-Tips thread has the fix for the largest issue I know of re 2k and XP...or you can search for "virtualdub" via the search engine and probably be very successful in seeing what you need to do.

I do play patched...unfortunately.

I am an old Wizardry series player... Werdna and I have been friends for a long long time [img]smile.gif[/img]

Enjoy

[ 09-09-2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: macoati ]

Greidee 09-09-2003 07:14 AM

I have only played the game on XP and the problems are not that big. Excellent solutions have been provided by the forum here. I would even go so far as to say that the number of "bugs" have been found only because the game has been played so extensively and by so many players with so many different configurations.

Enjoy!

Loudhy 09-10-2003 06:32 AM

Thanks to all of you,

I think, if I can get the game somewhere, I try it.

Greetings