Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Weird PC Moment 2 mornings ago.. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92110)

Ziroc 11-01-2004 03:06 PM

Woke up, go into PC room and my home machine is ALWAYS left on-as is the server. But the green power light was BLINKING! Always the same 1 second blink--no pattern or anything, no beeps (I know cmos beeps). Anyway, it seemed like all the fans and stuff were on, but when I went to turn the moniter on, it had no signal. I said the 'oh shit' and crossed my fingers and rebooted.

Booted fine. Works fine after 2 days now. It's an Alienware, so maybe this could be some unique warning telling me the power supply is dying? Or could it be CMOS daylight savings?

Anyone have any ideas? Very freaky.

[ 11-01-2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

T-D-C 11-01-2004 03:27 PM

Hmmm thats really strange.

I've seen some PC's (not alienware) do that after a powersurge, they kinda get stuck doing a reboot when the power surges.

Definatly a strange one.

Ziroc 11-01-2004 03:31 PM

Yeh, that power supply is also probably getting old. It's been running for 3 years non-stop. [img]smile.gif[/img] Same for the Server!

RoSs_bg2_rox 11-01-2004 03:39 PM

Well you could contact Alienware and ask them what the average lifespan is. Also, Im sure all us members would put some cash together if you need a new one [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

armageddon272 11-01-2004 03:57 PM

geez. thats some comp if it can handle that for 3 years. i wish my piece of crap could do that, then again, this isn't an alienware, and i got mine for next to free.

Ziroc 11-01-2004 04:02 PM

Server isn't an alienware, and it's been 3 years too ;) I know how to take the power supply apart and clean the dust out -- WARNING -- Only for people that know what they are doing. It can kill you. Even when unplugged a static buildup can kill.

RoSs_bg2_rox 11-01-2004 04:05 PM

How big is the power supply anyway?

Oh and Armageddon, any comp can handle that if you set it up right ;) Also this is a server, that is what they are meant for.

Morgawr 11-01-2004 04:09 PM

I had a weird thing happen with my computer on several occasions.

I always shut it down and turn it off but leave it plugged into the wall.
One evening i was just getting into the sack when it just randomly tuned itself on and booted up Windows.
Scared the shit out of me and my other half.
Did it on a couple of occasions then stopped.
Never did find out why.

Ziroc 11-01-2004 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
How big is the power supply anyway?

Oh and Armageddon, any comp can handle that if you set it up right ;) Also this is a server, that is what they are meant for.

Standard ATX.

johnny 11-01-2004 04:48 PM

You sure you weren't just drunk ? :D