Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Archers are great! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59032)

Dundee Slaytern 11-19-2001 12:51 AM

Well, I have started a solo human Archer under Insane difficulty, and I must say... it is painful so far... ...

But I shall march on, because I know he will become powerful later on, just need to level up some more.

STR: 18
DEX: 18
CON: 18
INT: 10
CHA: 08
WIS: 14

Racial Enemy: Demonic/Fell

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]</p>

Yorick 11-19-2001 10:22 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Magness:
Yorick,

Your point about selecting a racial enemy when you're starting at level 1 is well taken. Perhaps the DnD rules should allow a ranger to reselect racial enemy every 5 levels or so to accomodate the caliber of enemies they're likely to face.
<hr></blockquote>

Great idea! Send it in as a suggestion! [img]smile.gif[/img]

hagimihale 11-20-2001 04:46 PM

Legolas, after your comments I had to try the Archer so I started one friday night and am having a blast with it! Elven Archer with GM in longbow and a 19 dexterity is very powerful.

Question tho - with Tansheron's bow (spelling?) and Gesen Bow being short bows, would the proficiency be better off there? The 2 good longbows I remember are Heartseeker and Elven Court bow. Which has the best capabilities?

Russ 11-20-2001 05:30 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Question tho - with Tansheron's bow (spelling?) and Gesen Bow being short bows, would the proficiency be better off there<hr></blockquote>

If you're really roleplaying the mindset of your archer correctly, he'll have gotten really, really good with one type of missile weapon, and having come from the north, that'sprobably a longbow. But although he'll learn to use a melee weapon if he comes across a really cool one, it's slings and bows and crossbows and the like that really interest him, and so that's where he's most likely to start putting his extra proficiency slots... and in relatively short order, the problem solves itself.

Personally, with an archer, though I'm unfamiliar with the fully-assembled gesen bow, I'd definitely suck up a nonprof. penalty to use the Tuigan Bow...

Mitro Jellywadder 11-20-2001 07:42 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hagimihale:

Question tho - with Tansheron's bow (spelling?) and Gesen Bow being short bows, would the proficiency be better off there? The 2 good longbows I remember are Heartseeker and Elven Court bow. Which has the best capabilities?
<hr></blockquote>

The Elven Court bow has a +4 thac0, so nothing special. Take either the Mana Bow (+4 to hit, +1 dam., 20% resist mag. dam.) or the Heartseeker (+4 to hit, +2 dam, 9 seconds at additional +7 to hit).
The Heartseeker would be nice for the dragon battles. An additional +7 would go a long way.

In ToB the only other good longbow would be Taralash +4 (upgradeable).

Aunora Moonvale 11-20-2001 08:26 PM

So would a longbow be better to specialize in than a short bow or composite?

SecretMaster 11-20-2001 08:28 PM

I'd go with longbow. In the long run, its a lot better. Hang on, when it says archers can't where metal armor, does that mean chain too?

Mitro Jellywadder 11-20-2001 11:07 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Aunora Moonvale:
So would a longbow be better to specialize in than a short bow or composite?<hr></blockquote>

Composites count as long bows. I think the long bows are better than the shortbows.

[b] Welcome to the Board. [b] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Thrawn 11-21-2001 12:59 AM

THis is for Soa only so imho the short bows are best, because they has magic arrows so you never need to gain up some arrows, if im correct there is no +3 to hit arrows in soa, only in Tob, and the other great stuff, so imho in soa the short bow are best, now if you got tob that's different story.