Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Silly Experience gains in Underdark. (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54310)

sunder 06-07-2001 11:00 PM

Silly Experience Spoiler.
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Well, I think the Underdark is a silly place before the Drow city, You can get tons of experience for the stupidest things, I HATE IT!.

First you have the Fire/Earth/Air elementals in the Pre-city area, which regenerate a new one every time you kill the one currently, up to about 12 I think. Tons of experience for a party yawning sitting back ganging up on the lone elemental.
Is there a reason for this? I consider it silly. I could see if an extra one spawned each time you killed them (1, then 2, then 3, then 4, etc) but one after the other is a shooting gallery.

2nd, I found a new spot where you can sit back for tons of experience, hundreds of thousands. In the Mind flayer dungeon, When you reach the master brain, it summones BRAIN GOLEMS to fight you. Trouble is, it keeps summoning them after you kill one. Over and over. Plus it gives you plenty of time to heal up if you are hurt (they aren't tough, one fighter can take one out easy). Problem is, they give 10,000 experience a pop, and I went through about 20 or more before I got bored and killed the brain.
Kinda silly for a game that already gives you tons of experience.

Xod 06-07-2001 11:10 PM

You can also summon fiends, and gate pit fiends for exp at anytime. There are many, many ways to gain way too much experience in BG2. I think it was designed so that you could still be powerful enough to face Irenicus without *having* to do all of the side quests.

The first time I played through, I had my exp maxed out before Chapter 4.

------------------
http://b3ob.hypermart.net/wiz14a.jpg

"This place will be your tomb."

Gil-Galad 06-08-2001 04:53 AM

SPOILER
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
Yes, there is a purpose for the elemental portals....Talk to to the gnome trader to the south - he will mention an imprisoned mage in the area, your journal will tell you what to do.

ONE MORE SPOILER
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
cast a freedom scroll (the gnome has a few) just north of the traders, you will free a mage who will give you a quest involving the portals.http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/no...iles/smile.gif

Leagle 06-08-2001 05:15 AM

Your point being? If you go there before that the elementals are there, if not they aren't. So why not? They don't have to dump elementals on you.

sunder 06-08-2001 02:33 PM

Exactly. There is way too much experience overkill in BG2. I can level a party 2-3 times over playing through it.

How it should have worked to make the game ALOT more fun. If you played through the entire game, hit every area, and did all the major quests, you should max out your experience by chapter 7. Not by chapter 5, not by chapter 4. But towards the end. What is the reason for maxxing out your characters half way through the game? Was the same problem with BG1.
This is not including the character quests, or the stronghold quests, or the misc stuff you can find in the game to raise more experience (scrolls, multiple spawn monsters, etc)
The game should be balanced to max out your characters through the entire game, then there wouldn't be a need for experience cap removers, etc. Haven't the makers of the game figured this out yet? Jeesh Im a stupid jerk sitting here playing the game, and I FIGURED IT OUT! Why couldn't they. I guess they just like super powered characters with +5 death weapons.
If they had made the experience in the game halved, it would have been extremely more fun and challenging.

Sitting in front of a portal killing a single fire elemental over and over racking up 8000+ experience a pop isn't challenging nor fun. Its boring and useless.

Leagle 06-08-2001 03:16 PM

I know it is annoying, but we do need the experience you are given in the begining.http://www.tgeweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/no...miles/wink.gif

Black Knight 06-08-2001 03:45 PM

Guys, you are missing the point. This is a ROLE PLAYING Game. If you insert yourself into the role, and you see a portal where Elementals are being spawned, you aren't going to sit there and say, "Hey, these are worth 8000 exp points, let's see how many will come out." What you are going to do is explore the area and figure out how to turn it off/figure out what the reason behind the portal is.

Same thing with the brain thing. You would sit by, heal up, goating it into making more Brain Golems. You would attempt to destroy the creature before it could make more. Wouldn't matter what level you were, you would kill it before it could kill you.

And if you are mad that you capped out by doing these things, then DON'T. It's not the programmer's fault that people use every crack in the codes to squeeze out every last experience point, take advantage of every situation, then they turn around and complain that the programmers put too much experience points in the game?

I do agree that there are too many good weapons out there, but they had to from a marketing standpoint. You HAVE to have the Holy Sword for all those guys that ONLY play Paladins. Or the Bows for the rangers-types. And the Flail for something to give your Clerics/Mages, and the list goes on and on and on...they wanted to make it so each char type had a big weapon for it. It does slightly over-balance the game. But the question is, are you here for RPGing, Power Gameing, or both? Either way, the game is designed to make you happy, make you buy it, and $$$$ is the driving force behind the games.

BK

Tancred 06-08-2001 07:02 PM

"Excuse me, your Majesty, but I and my friends here were wondering how much experience we'll get if we kill you."

An excellent quote, and one from my old D&D group. Alas, one player - Nick the thief - realised that if we killed some duke and then retreated to the archway behind the throne, we could defend ourselves, and the dead guards would garner us more Exp than if we did the duke's quest.

An extreme example, but it serves a purpose.

robertthebard 06-08-2001 09:12 PM

Some people, like me for instance, don't go to the Underdark until towards the end of the game, and by then, 120,000 xp wouldn't level up my mage, or thief, once you divide the xp's by six. Firekraag only doles out 64,000 xp, and I usually face him relatively early. While that battle is always interesting, I think it should be worth a lot more than that.

------------------
"...and that's the
bottom line, 'cause Robert the Bard says so!"
Robert the Bard TLH

sunder 06-09-2001 12:08 AM

Im just talking in general. Sure its fun to get your characters super powerful and strong, able to handle alot of things, but Its also fun to actually have goals to get to, and to build up more and more. If you max out your party before the Underdark, You still have the Underdark/forest areas etc to do with parties that are already maxxed with no where to go except for the end of the game.
At that point, as many can attest to, you just want to find all the cool weapons and such, and beat up the end guy. Who cares about killing a few more golems? You don't get experience for them. Why cares if there is another party of Drow in that other room, they don't have any cool items nor experience.

The First time I played through the game, with 6 of my own characters, I maxxed out my characters Before the Drow City. I didn't even do the Demi-lich quest, I didn't do any NPC character quests, I bypassed the old fish city area all together because I went through the Asylum Portal instead of jumping on the boat.

So I went through the rest of the game with characters who had no future of advancement except for some magic items. And after visiting the Dwarf after exiting the Underworld, not even that. All the rest of the game I killed things, they gave experience, I said, oh well, I don't need that.

It would have been extremely fun and challenging to still be leveling up after that point. You have experience cap removers for one reason, the game was designed poorly based on the amount of experience you are given. People remove the caps because they reach level 17 paladin 3/4ths of the way through the game, or even 1/2 way through, and want to advance more. If the game progressed as it should, you wouldn't need a experience cap remover, and reaching level 21 monk lets say would be a GREAT achievement, and only the players who did all the needed quests, and most of the 2ndary quests, would reach it.

Sorry, In my personal opinion they could have made a Great game like Baldur's gate even better by halving the experience you get.

P.S. And if you are expecting to make future games you can import to, there isn't a need to have a level 12 paladin getting a +5 holy avenger sword so low in levels, he can get a great +3 or +4 weapon and get that Holy Avenger sword in future games. Or have it so that he'd have to reach a certain level before he could buy it or gain it from his guild or something.