Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Imprisonment on Dead Bodies (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16612)

Lord 07-02-2005 02:25 PM

SPOILERS
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
I just remembered this problem I had last week when fighting Kangaxx. Jan had died, but Kangaxx the Demi-Lich still imprisoned him. How does that happen? I wasn't sure if this was a bug or something, so I reloaded, used control-y on Edwin, Jan, and Korgan. But Kangaxx still imprisoned them. I did a search on the forum and couldn't find anything about it. Is this just an attribute of improved Kangaxx?

Sir Goulum 07-02-2005 05:03 PM

Maybe because they're still 'in' your party? I have no idea, just my best guess.

Link 07-03-2005 02:15 AM

In the same line of thoughts: it is possible to stun someone after they've died. I have a screenshot proving it (courtesy of Baldur's Gate 1). This happens because the game deals the damage first and then applies the effects of a spell or a magical weapon.

However, Imprisonment is a spell with no special effects other than the 'putting you miles beneath the ground'-thing. How much time was there between the death of the NPC's and them being imprisoned?

Illumina Drathiran'ar 07-03-2005 02:25 AM

Well... Kangaxx uses a projectile to imprison. And I know that sometimes I'll pause only to have a character's status change from "Near Death" to "Dead"... What if Kangaxx fired the Imprisonment and it hit in that split-second window of Death status before actual death? Or perhaps the projectile just hit the normal corpse and the spell took effect?

Lord 07-03-2005 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
Well... Kangaxx uses a projectile to imprison. And I know that sometimes I'll pause only to have a character's status change from "Near Death" to "Dead"... What if Kangaxx fired the Imprisonment and it hit in that split-second window of Death status before actual death? Or perhaps the projectile just hit the normal corpse and the spell took effect?
That would make sense for the first time Jan was imprisoned since I think he died just before the spell hit him. However, it wouldn't make sense for the 2nd time when I went and tested it out using control-y on my characters first. I don't remember how long after I used control-y on them that they were imprisoned, but I highly doubt this 'split-second window' would occur 4 times in a row...

Illumina Drathiran'ar 07-03-2005 01:44 PM

Then perhaps once the spell is targeted it works on anything, even corpses?

greg28j 07-16-2005 03:08 AM

kangax does not 'cast imprisonment'. it is an ability called 'trap the soul'

Illumina Drathiran'ar 07-16-2005 03:44 AM

Does that change anything?

GoblinZ 07-16-2005 04:02 AM

If it is not an ordinary spell, then the working mechanics could be different.

If not that, then it could just be the AI treating the ability differently:
Maybe Kangaxx is every then and then told to "Imprison" the nearest target to ensure he takes full advantage of his abilities?

Now a normal mage wouldn´t aim Imprisonment at a corpse, but a simple special scrip just might. :/

Illumina Drathiran'ar 07-16-2005 01:11 PM

::nods:: And as it's a ranged spell, it might take effect as soon as it hits the target. It can only target living creatures. If the creature dies before the projectile hits, it imprisons the corpse.