Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Possible solution for some who are getting the memory error problem (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100958)

Griefmaker 07-25-2009 01:22 PM

Possible solution for some who are getting the memory error problem

Hi everyone,
I am usually a lurker here at the ironworks forums, but decided that it was time to step out of the shadows and say hi. So hi =).

Anyway, I recently decided to play W&W again after about a 2 year hiatus. I installed the game, planned out my party (not a quick decision in this game for me...), and got ready for some slicing and dicing of baddies. Everything went great: I created my characters, the old man bored me with his speech, and I left the town so that I could save and go to bed. This morning when I tried to load my game, I encountered the memory problem that a lot of people seemed to be having with W&W on win xp with a dual core system.

So I re-installed the game, downloaded the codec, set the compatibility to win 95, ran the virtual dub program, installed the patch...but I kept getting the memory error issue. I knew that I had run this game on my computer in the past, but was having issues now.

Then I realized that the only thing different from my previous setup was that in the graphics options, I had chosen to run D3D, instead of using the software driver (I used to only have an integrated video card, which was why I had set it to use the software driver, but I installed a relatively cheap card about a year ago so I thought to try it in D3D). I switched it back to using the software driver and all is well now. The game runs like a champ.

I do not know if this will help anyone else, but it is definitely worthwhile to try if you are having issues!

By the way, in case you are wonder what my specs are, here is a general list of everything:

Pentium D processor
-One note about the dual core is that when I looked at the processor affinity, the game appears to automatically default to only 1 core.
2 Gigs RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6800 Video card (256 MB, I believe)
Win Xp Pro (with SP3)

Anyway, thanks to all of the people I have seen on these boards throughout the years (my original account was created in 2002, but then something happened to it and I had to recreate this one) and all of the generous help they have freely given. I hope that my little tidbit helps someone in the future!

Also, since I see that you ladies and chaps are fond of old-school games, I will give a cookie to the person who recognizes where my name comes from =)

Eagle eye 07-25-2009 11:44 PM

Re: Possible solution for some who are getting the memory error problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griefmaker (Post 1232578)
Also, since I see that you ladies and chaps are fond of old-school games, I will give a cookie to the person who recognizes where my name comes from =)

I'm not down with all the old-school stuff that almost everyone gets nostalgic over. I had to google it - is that cheating..?

I too am somewhat of a lurker. Nice to meet another.

Wyvern 07-27-2009 10:03 AM

Re: Possible solution for some who are getting the memory error problem

We like lurkers!!! :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing that information!!!

If my life ever gets less chaotic I would like to play W&W again. It has been far too long since I have!

Wyv