Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Current Consoles and the Future. What do you think? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91783)

Albromor 09-29-2004 03:00 PM

I know Christmas is a few months away but my wife and I already putting the list together. I am NOT a last minute shopper. Anyway, my daughter has hinted but not pushed that she would like a PS2 mostly because she is into RPGs and the PS2 has more out there than anyone. The only thing is that from what I have been reading is that PS3 is due outsometime in Q3 2005. That means that any new games for PS3 will be unplayable on her PS2 and any new games for PS2 will not happen. We're talking that in one years time the her neew PS2 system will be obsolete (like her PS1 is now). So, do I get it? Is this wise expediture of money? I don't think she would be heartbroken in the least, but it would be a nice surprise. Help me IW's! :D

Timber Loftis 09-29-2004 03:27 PM

PS2 was reverse-compatible for the games, so PS3 just might be. I think you'd do better longevity-wise with Xbox, which probably will last another 2 years before becoming obsolete. You're at a point now where any system you buy will become obsolete in the near future, because they've all been out a few years, and because, well capitalist corporate growth and shareholder demands require a new console roll-out every few years from each company.

Kakero 09-29-2004 08:53 PM

The current consoles are quite cheap. plus if you are really really desperate for games then go ahead and buy the console. Though like TL said it only gonna last you for maybe 2 to 3 years.

Dron_Cah 09-29-2004 09:01 PM

The next generation of game systems is said to be scheduled for 2005-2006. That's what I last heard, anyways. All the systems will come out in a relatively close time period, as no one wants to start late this time. (cough) Gamecube! (cough) ;)

Gxc 09-29-2004 10:51 PM

I had a ps2 but i dont have it anymore i go a xbox then [img]smile.gif[/img] and i like it.. gamecube is also fun.

Hivetyrant 09-29-2004 11:43 PM

Yeah I have a Gamecube and it rocks, also, Playstation 3=NOT backwards compatible, X-Box 2=NOT backwards compatible, Next Nintendo=????No idea, I can tell you now that they will still make games for all three consoles even after the new ones come out, but the rate at which they make them will slowly die.
I dont have a PS2 and I dont really like them, but your right when you say they have the majority of the games, especially when it comes to RPG's

T-D-C 09-29-2004 11:47 PM

For what its worth Sony are bringing out the new PStwo.

basically a condensed version of the PS2. its about half the size.

Morgan_Corbesant 09-29-2004 11:55 PM

X-Box is a great system. I don't own a console, but I've played them all and like the X-Box the most. PS3 will be great, but X-Box2 will be MUCH better I'm sure.

Jonas Strider 09-30-2004 10:47 AM

get a gamecube for the kids and an xbox for the adults. they're both cheap now and good YET the games can be pretty pricey unless you buy the platinum hits.

the games to get for xbox i recommend are halo2 (due in nov 9) for the man of the house unless your wife likes heavy combat action too. for the wife (or the family), try Dance Dance Revolution. seems the ladies like this alot from what i've heard and seen.