Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Now This Really Burns Me! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81933)

Albromor 10-17-2002 11:06 PM

I hope evryone on this forum takes as many precautions as they can when it comes to protecting your online privacy. Last Sunday evening I went back to review an email I sent to someone in my Sent Mail file. Listed were a score of emails I never sent, using my account, and sending them out to people concerning Dish TV. Somehow and someway someone hacked my ISP password. How they discovered my password I haven't a clue because I have NEVER given it out. So be careful out there and change your passwords from time to time.

Djinn Raffo 10-17-2002 11:09 PM

That sucks! Invest in a firewall!

True_Moose 10-17-2002 11:15 PM

Are you sure it wasn't a worm or something? Lots of those are goin' around.

Redblueflare 10-18-2002 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by True_Moose:
Are you sure it wasn't a worm or something? Lots of those are goin' around.
I think that's far more likely. You better scan your cpu... :(

Albromor 10-18-2002 01:04 AM

Redblueflare, I have screened for viruses but I always thought that was in the realm of files and folders. I didn't know the CPU unit itself was scanned. Is there a special way to do this or do virus scans such as McAlfree or Symantec take care of this?

Redblueflare 10-18-2002 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Albromor:
Redblueflare, I have screened for viruses but I always thought that was in the realm of files and folders. I didn't know the CPU unit itself was scanned. Is there a special way to do this or do virus scans such as McAlfree or Symantec take care of this?
You're asking the wrong person lol! :D Z or some other cpu expert we need you! I don't know much about worms but they can't be good for your computer. Well didn't I just speak the obvious... :rolleyes: Oh the cpu unit! I can do that. Scan your hard drive. On most cpu's this is the C drive. If you have any extra hard drives scan them too! Hope that helps. What were you scanning before?

[ 10-18-2002, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Redblueflare ]

Ziroc 10-18-2002 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Albromor:
I hope evryone on this forum takes as many precautions as they can when it comes to protecting your online privacy. Last Sunday evening I went back to review an email I sent to someone in my Sent Mail file. Listed were a score of emails I never sent, using my account, and sending them out to people concerning Dish TV. Somehow and someway someone hacked my ISP password. How they discovered my password I haven't a clue because I have NEVER given it out. So be careful out there and change your passwords from time to time.
If it shows in YOUR sent folder, YOUR machine sent it. This means you have a MM (Mass Mailer) virus. Go to www.norton.com and download the demo and scan asap.

Do you use Outlook Express? If so, which version? If it's v6.0, and you have installed ALL the latest hot-fixes, then let me know.

LennonCook 10-18-2002 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Redblueflare:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Albromor:

You're asking the wrong person lol! :D Z or some other cpu expert we need you! I don't know much about worms but they can't be good for your computer. Well didn't I just speak the obvious... :rolleyes: Oh the cpu unit! I can do that. Scan your hard drive. On most cpu's this is the C drive. If you have any extra hard drives scan them too! Hope that helps. What were you scanning before?</font>[/QUOTE]<font color="lightblue">RBF, the terminology you`re using is *realy* confusing Albromor ;)
The cpu does NOT mean the whole computer, as you`re using it, but infact it is the Central Processing Unit. It is a tiny chip with a HUGE fan hidden away deep within your system unit (read: the metal box that isn`t the monitor). You can`t scan your CPU for viri, as the CPU is a *physical* thing [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Albromor- he means scan your entire computer ;) </font>

whacky 10-18-2002 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
That sucks! Invest in a firewall!
Umm if anyone needed to hack your isp account they would never need to bypass your firewall sire ;) All anyone would need to do would be to brute force it [img]smile.gif[/img]