Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I need to raise $$$ for bandwidth and .... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74873)

Beltazar 05-07-2002 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ziroc:
I am going to have to find out a way to raise some money for the site, my friend is going to need more bandwidth soon, (Our site uses MOST of his bandwidth, it's a T1 too!!)

But I was thinking of adding Ad banners to the site.. NO pop-ups or anything, but 1 banner. I HATE having to do this. But I gotta help him pay for it.

Also, our UBB License will 'run out' May 29th and I will no longer be able to download newer versions (Upgrades) after that date. THAT is only $99 I think, so we could raise that easily. But I wanted to let you know what is going on. We will have a T3 (i.e. BAD ASS bandwidth) and will allow us to grow!! :D

I know many have donated (Many MULTIPULE times) and you guys kick ass! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] but we have 7000 users!!! We could do this with donations and the Ad banner easily!

Let me know what you think--ideas WELCOMED BIG TIME!!

We have only received 1 paypal donation since March too-- I am worried. Should I make a 'header' so all forums can see it--a pick with something like 'please help' or something?

Thanks, god I wish I was rich.. I totally feel ill thinking of adding a BANNER ad to this clean site. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Seriously.. they would make it look 'less cozy' feeling. :(

How much do you need exactly? And I could write a check to you...and you just tell me how much you want and I can see if I can get it for you

flibulzbuth 05-07-2002 02:44 PM

Well said Cloudy.

How about a gamble on:
-the day NWN will go gold.
-the day NWN will hit the stores.
It's such a hot topic everyone will want a try, gambler or not.

Let's say n% goes in Z's pockets and the rest is split between the winners.

Is it feasable to keep track of the money and players? Is it legal in Ziroc's state? Dunno...

Beltazar 05-07-2002 02:56 PM

And z-man, my mom lives in FL, Clearwater to be exact.. I can also ask her to maybe pitch in some money. But I'd have to ask her [img]smile.gif[/img]

Galadria 05-07-2002 02:59 PM

Aw, Cloudy! Even just for special avatars/ranks?

Wurm 05-07-2002 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ziroc:

Thanks, god I wish I was rich.. I totally feel ill thinking of adding a BANNER ad to this clean site. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Seriously.. they would make it look 'less cozy' feeling. :(

How about Black Isle banners? they would fit right in...

Im willing to send a money order but I cant do Pay Pal over here in Germany :( Do you have an address?

MagiK 05-07-2002 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
No offense to either Galadria or Magik but I strongly oppose any strategy which differentiates members based on their ability to pay monthly dontations for the privilege of special titles, insignia, etc.... I know that there are MANY members who either are young and have no income per se, or who are out of work or who just cannot afford the luxury of even that $10 for whatever reasons. It would set up a 'class' structure that I feel would be divisive at best. And what do you do about the ones who can pay sometimes but not always?

I know it was meant as a constructive means of making funds but a tasteful banner would be less problematic, much as I dislike the notion of advertising on IW.

No offense taken Cloudy [img]smile.gif[/img] And I understand your point.....never thought of it a s "class" structure. But on the other hand, it is nice to do something for those who can pitch in. Even my church puts up little plaques to those who can donate. Doing something nice for those who contribute doesn't HAVE to take away from those who can't or choose not to.

Beltazar 05-07-2002 03:08 PM

You know, it'd be cool if we could all play IW bingo!!

Barb 05-07-2002 03:21 PM

why dont you have a link from a company from the ironworks gaming web? You'd get money from having a whole page devoted to a company.

Cloudbringer 05-07-2002 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MagiK:
No offense taken Cloudy [img]smile.gif[/img] And I understand your point.....never thought of it a s "class" structure. But on the other hand, it is nice to do something for those who can pitch in. Even my church puts up little plaques to those who can donate. Doing something nice for those who contribute doesn't HAVE to take away from those who can't or choose not to.[/QB]
Sorry, Magik, but I think things like special titles/etc would be divisive. When new members ask 'How do I get that and how come you have it and he doesn't?" you have to say it's for the money sent and that immediately excludes young people who can't do it and we have A LOT of them at IW. It also excludes adults who for whatever reason are UNABLE to pay and frankly I just don't like the idea that someone who cheerufully supports IW in other ways but has not money to send might feel slighted because of it.. I think it's the idea that not everyone has the same things to offer and if we say only MONEY counts for getting this special 'award' then it cuts many out of the loop.
Just my two cents worth. [img]smile.gif[/img]

MagiK 05-07-2002 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MagiK:
No offense taken Cloudy [img]smile.gif[/img] And I understand your point.....never thought of it a s "class" structure. But on the other hand, it is nice to do something for those who can pitch in. Even my church puts up little plaques to those who can donate. Doing something nice for those who contribute doesn't HAVE to take away from those who can't or choose not to.

Sorry, Magik, but I think things like special titles/etc would be divisive. When new members ask 'How do I get that and how come you have it and he doesn't?" you have to say it's for the money sent and that immediately excludes young people who can't do it and we have A LOT of them at IW. It also excludes adults who for whatever reason are UNABLE to pay and frankly I just don't like the idea that someone who cheerufully supports IW in other ways but has not money to send might feel slighted because of it.. I think it's the idea that not everyone has the same things to offer and if we say only MONEY counts for getting this special 'award' then it cuts many out of the loop.
Just my two cents worth. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]I see your point. :D Well Ill try to support whatever methodology comes up. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-07-2002, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]