Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   In need of a good multiplayer game (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66433)

Jaradu 10-31-2004 04:05 PM

With Christmas coming up, I thought that now would be a good time just to have an idea of what PC games I will want. My fellow Ironworkers, I seek your guidance...

First of all, the game MUST be multiplayer via the internet - this helps to make the game live longer and make it less boring and repetitive. If it doesn't have multiplayer, it must have some damn good single player replayability, or I don't want it.

Also, there are a lot of good FPSs out there, and those are the games that I prefer. Something with tactics and strategy, as well as intense action.

Obviously, without doubt, I am getting Halflife 2 along with all the other things that go with it. I don't see how anyone can miss a breakthrough such as this. :D

Doom3 sounds convincing, but as I was examining the box for the game, I didn't see it mention any multiplayer... Surely Doom3 would be multiplayer? [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

Farcry.... played the demo; absolutely incredible. Multiplayer? It appears so. Might just get this one. Would you recommend it?

Halo 2 won't be out by Christmas.... or so I hear.

But those are just FPSs... there are also other games of other genres that would interest me, such as Dawn of War and Battle for Middle Earth, but I'll worry about those later.

Thanks in advance for your advice. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Xen 10-31-2004 04:47 PM

How about WC 3 or Unreal II?

Assassin 10-31-2004 07:37 PM

What games do you already have?

[ 10-31-2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]

Niadh 11-01-2004 09:07 AM

Doom 3 has multiplayer, but only for up to 4 players.

Have you tried Rome:Total War?

Chris of the Dale 11-01-2004 10:00 AM

I play Call of Duty: United Offense online, it's a great game. Of course this is the expansion so you also need the original Call of Duty.

armageddon272 11-01-2004 10:35 AM

try the delta force games. i own Task Force Dagger and its pretty old, but i can still play it online with hundreds of poeple, it doesn't get old soon.

Riftmaker 11-01-2004 12:40 PM

Day of Defeat. Nuff 'said.

http://www.dayofdefeat.com

Trust me, you won't be dissapointed. If you're looking for more teamwork involved, try joining BattleForEurope.

http://dod.battleforeurope.com/

RoSs_bg2_rox 11-01-2004 01:02 PM

If you have a load of time on your hands, get WC3 and its expansion pack Frozen Throne. It is great, although I have spent far to many days playing it, so just be warned! :D

Jaradu 11-01-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Niadh:
Doom 3 has multiplayer, but only for up to 4 players.
Did a Google search for it, and you're right. It has deathmatch for up to four players, teams of 2 possible. Because of this, I'm guessing there is a lot of tactics involved. I can't remember where I read the multiplayer review, but it made it sound GOOOOD! There is a great chance I may get this. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

Quote:

Originally posted by Niadh:
Have you tried Rome:Total War?
Played the demo - it owns. And, judging from the thread on it, it is very good in full version as well. I really want this game, but not as urgently as some others. Still, I doubt I could live with myself knowing that I missed the chance to play this game. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris of the Dale:
I play Call of Duty: United Offense online, it's a great game. Of course this is the expansion so you also need the original Call of Duty.
Yup I've got Call of Duty and enjoy it very much. My trials for the clan [MC] were on Sunday and they said there is a very positive chance I will get in. [img]smile.gif[/img] I do not have United Offensive, though... Are the additions worth the cost? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Quote:

Originally posted by Riftmaker:
Day of Defeat. Nuff 'said.
Comes wit Half-life 2 Gold Edition [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Quote:

Originally posted by Xen:
How about WC 3?
Quote:

Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
If you have a load of time on your hands, get WC3 and its expansion pack Frozen Throne
So far, I have not been brave enough to venture out into any of the warcraft ganes... I hear they can do terrible things to you, horribly addictive as they are... But I don't think I can call myself a gamer until I sit down and play *cough*forfiveyearsstraight*cough*. :D

A'ight, I'm thinking that Doom 3 is the most appealing to me at this very precise moment in time, along with Halflife 2... That could all change, but I'm stubborn. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for your recommendations, guys. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Chewbacca 11-01-2004 02:02 PM

The Battlefield game are fun and support up to 64 (iirc) players multi-player. I have played Battlefield 1942 and Star Wars Battlefront and there is also Battlefield Vietnam.

Dont forget NWN for a RPG- it has aged quite nicely and still has a huge online player-base.