Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Help - can I recover from Feeblemind ? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23473)

Midget Gems 07-22-2003 04:50 PM

I've been slowly making my way through Dragon's Eye in H.O.F mode, so I was delighted to get to the end and win the big fight (at about the 4th attempt). So I saved the game but forgot that my Mage is trapped in the Feebleminded condition and now I can't do anything or go anywhere. I was going to try Dispel Magic but I already wasted my only copy and I don't seem to have any other cures. Nor can I sleep to regain spells. I have an old autosave I could reload, but that means repeating a lot of tough fighting.

So does anyone know how to get out of this mess or is there a simple cheat code for a scroll that I could use (normally I avoid cheats and editors but I think I might need one here).

Your advice would be welcome, M.G.

Xen 07-22-2003 04:55 PM

IIRC Feebelmind is permanent.

Lord Brass 07-22-2003 06:08 PM

Feeblemind is permanent. Fear it!

You'll have to have dispel magic cast on your mage, which leaves you in a predicament. The only other thing besides editing in a scroll is to go to the temple and see if the condition can be removed for a price. To be honest, I've never been in the positio were it's my mage that is in need of the dispel.

It's possible that Dalekeeper allows you to remove the condition. I can't remember exactly, 'cause it's a long time since I used it. Sorry.

Micah Foehammer 07-22-2003 06:29 PM

Dispel Magic or a Heal spell will remove the condition. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you have HoW installed, Exaltation will also remove the feebleminded condition. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You can always import a temporary healer to cast one of the above spells and then export the "wandering cleric". [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-22-2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]

Midget Gems 07-23-2003 02:49 PM

Thanks for the morale support guys, but as I thought there is no easy answer. My Cleric could learn Heal, but I have no way to sleep. If only we were allowed to drag the poor stupid fool to a safe place, we could get some sleep and fix his affliction. Quite why Feeblmind stops him moving or sleeping (or being carried) is beyond me.

So my next option appears to be to kill him and then work out the best way to get him back to normal........ Now this won't hurt at all, trust me !!!

Lord Brass 07-23-2003 06:30 PM

Can't you "force" the cure using Dalekeeper? I can't look for you, as I don't have it loaded on my computer. Sorry. I believe that you could use it to teleport back to Kuldahar though. You could get to the temple that way. ;)

NobleNick 07-23-2003 08:57 PM

<font color = mediumspringgreen>Midget Gems,

This first paragraph may come across as useless holier-than-thou advice; but it is not meant that way: I save game about every ten minutes or so; and save to a new game name about every hour or so worth of game play, plus after key events. Saves lots of heartache.

Dalekeeper can help. Import a dispel magic scroll and have another character cure your guy.

Even if you can not "save" your existing character (I am pretty sure you can), you can carefully note all stats, alignment and items carried, then kill the character and rebuild an exact replica using Dalekeeper.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
</font>

Azred 07-24-2003 01:27 AM

<font color = lightgreen>There is no need to actually kill the afflicted character. As stupid as this may seem, you may cast both Raise Dead and Resurrection on someone who is alive; this will act like a Dispel Magic and "clear the slate" of symptoms your character may be suffering. This won't work for petrification, but should fix Feeblemind. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img] </font>

Midget Gems 07-24-2003 04:26 PM

OK, I'm on my way again and off to new adventures. In the end I killed the Feebleminded fool and then got him back with a Raise Dead. This was before I saw Azred's post so I didn't try his suggestion. I couldn't bring myself to murder one of my own party, so I enlisted my pet Fire Elemental to administer the cure!
Having invested a great deal of time and effort in overcoming Yxounomei, I was glad I didn't have to do it again. That's one of the problems with HOF, the fights go on for ages and it only needs one mistake and it's reload time (again).

Cheers, MG

Xen 07-24-2003 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Midget Gems:
OK, I'm on my way again and off to new adventures. In the end I killed the Feebleminded fool and then got him back with a Raise Dead. This was before I saw Azred's post so I didn't try his suggestion. I couldn't bring myself to murder one of my own party, so I enlisted my pet Fire Elemental to administer the cure!
Having invested a great deal of time and effort in overcoming Yxounomei, I was glad I didn't have to do it again. That's one of the problems with HOF, the fights go on for ages and it only needs one mistake and it's reload time (again).

Cheers, MG

Yep. The frustration can be such a pain. :eek: