Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   No Alignments (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43271)

Dajjer 12-14-2001 10:35 AM

Is anyone bothered that there are no alignments (good, neutral,evil, chaotic etc)?

I am not. I alway felt that if you wanted to be evil, just do evil things, but in the context of the game, the whole alignment thing made no sense because generally the whole purpose of the game was to save the world or do something heroic, ie good. But if you are an evil alligned character and you're doing the ultimate good by saving the world (or whatnot) you are not really evil. But if you chose to be aligned with evil even though you ultimately want to do a good deed, perhaps the basic hypocrisy is evil. But then again hyprocrisy is a state of being so maybe your alignement is hypocrite. It is all so confusing. I am just so glad Wiz 8 left it out.

MaskedFrog 12-14-2001 10:53 AM

Alignment in most games is handled badly. I agree that you alignment should be based on your actions within the game. Fallout, Fallout 2, and Arcanum handle this very well. This also means you need alternate endings. I like wizardry where you just have to make decisions and those decisions affect what you can or cannot do.

Dajjer 12-14-2001 05:19 PM

No alignments in this game and I think there are multiple endings. At least I hope so.

vesselle 12-14-2001 05:21 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MaskedFrog:
Alignment in most games is handled badly. I agree that you alignment should be based on your actions within the game. Fallout, Fallout 2, and Arcanum handle this very well. This also means you need alternate endings. I like wizardry where you just have to make decisions and those decisions affect what you can or cannot do.<hr></blockquote>

i think planescape did it best. you could be evil and then repent and become good. it was pretty cool. that way you could also slaughter everyone right up to the end and still "beat" the game. anyway, that's the one i feel got it right.

overall, the alignment thing in games is almost as horrific as it can be in real life. bleah!

Vaprakgruumsh 12-14-2001 05:48 PM

To me...

Alignment is pointless with games like Wizardry, where you can't seperate your party.

Why should the whole party suffer an alignment hit for a rogue in your party stealing, for example? (For true RPG feel - you might just have it so you role play that your priest knows nothing of the fact of your rogue pocketing the local basket being passed around for donations, or something... but since that can't be done, Wizardry 8 - or none of the Wizardry games for that matter - need alignment).