Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Exporting a saved game (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58890)

Ulthred 11-12-2001 08:41 AM

I am replacing my computer and i am halfway through a game of BG2. I want to be able to export my current game to my new PC so i do not have to start again.

Can anyone tell me if i can take a saved game from one computer to another and how to do it?

Any help appreciated

crimsonson 11-12-2001 08:49 AM

There is a subfolder called 'Save' in your BG2 installation folder. Just put it on a disk. Its pretty simple.

I actually email the content of my 'Quick Save' folder back and forth between home and work. I overwrite the content with the new ones and continue playing.

Sengmand 11-12-2001 08:53 AM

how do you find the right folder?

crimsonson 11-12-2001 09:09 AM

The folder naming system is

"xxxxxxxxx-Name"

x = numerical value

So for example, if you want to export your game in the quick save slot - go the the subfolder and find " 000000001-Quick-Save "
This will contain the characters, pictures, map setting, items and etc. It does not contain any custom sounds and pics. There is an appropriate folder for that.

The Auto Save slot by default is folder 000000000-Auto-Save
The quick save slot by default is folder 000000001-Quick-Save

Any new slots you create will have the corresponding increased numerical value and name.
Example = if you save in a slot right after the quick save slot and call it 'PaladinCopper'
it will be folder

000000002-PaladinCopper

Hope that helps!

Ulthred 11-12-2001 06:19 PM

Thanks for the info crimsonson. I have tried it and it worked perfectly. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sengmand 11-13-2001 04:17 AM

yeah thanks.

Whailor 11-13-2001 05:49 AM

Just a general question about the export as such:

It has been told in many places that when you start BG2 with the imported save/shar from BG1, you will keep "some" of the items. Definately not all, as I have seen. Now, only thing I ever kept from BG1 were the Golden Pantaloons, but absolutely nothing else. Well OK, I did find the Helm of Balduran, but you can find that even without the imported save. So what is it really? Do you keep some gear at least from BG1, and if yes, where can it be found? Personal experience shows that you wont keep really anything..

Galadria 11-13-2001 06:35 AM

In my experience, you dont keep any thing. MY companion-in-arms claims that Bodhi and Irenicus sold them to the Adventurers' mart, but I don't buy that. [img]smile.gif[/img] Even they aren't that cheesy! OK, maybe they are; what good do you know about them?

Whailor 11-13-2001 07:58 AM

Considering the gear in BG2, my BG1 gear was in no way "uber", I give it that.. But it still would have made the start so much more sweeter and easier [img]smile.gif[/img]

Morgeruat 11-13-2001 10:36 AM

SPOILER

you can keep your gear if you pause the game and drop your EQ at the starting sequence before Jon shows up the first time (hit the spacebar, it will bring up your character info, and you can access your inventory, some items like the worlds edge from ToSC are altered (i got the sword that drops fireballs), and if you managed to get both rings of Wizardry, you'll find they've been pleasantly upgraded to the version of it you find in SoA.

Just make sure to drop them or they go away normally, but if they aren't on your person, just on the ground next to you, you can pick them up again

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]</p>