Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   mindflayers and demilichs-- warded doors piss me off, why cant I just kick em in,.... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49153)

Antiar 12-04-2000 02:31 PM

hey, how do I find out about the demilich quest? also, how do I get through the warded door into the mind flayer lair?

Zenith 12-04-2000 03:19 PM

You find out about the demilich quest in the house to the left of Maevar's(sp) thieves guild house in the docks district. 2 options for warded doors in mindflayer lair. 1) Use a flayer under control of the collars. send it right up to the door. 2) Change into Slayer.

Magnus Magnificent 12-05-2000 12:29 AM

I just finished the Flayers off last night. I hacked them to death with swords, axes, and missile weapons. (no summoning required) I did use Chaotic Command and I had my thief hide and explore a lot. I found the room where you can make potions that block Psionic attacks. I used 2 fighters to draw attacks, then unloaded with everyone. You're right, Magness, you still have to watch for that Int drain. It took me a couple of fights to figure that one out. Opening the doors was obvious.

Sebastian_Kell 12-05-2000 01:24 AM

just an added thing about the warded doors, for some reason in my game the room that continually generates mindflayers to put the collars on ceased to produced mind flayers and unfortunately I still needed to get into the Brain room. To fix this I summoned one via the built in codes. The code is CreateCreature("mindfl01") if this happens creating one close to the door opens it immediately no collar required.

Bruce The Aussie 12-05-2000 07:30 AM

I think mind flayers are too hard if you don't summon stuff. well alone there easy but together they're too hard also i coudnt open the warded doors so i gave up &loaded a save outside the flayers pad

Magness 12-05-2000 10:20 AM

Bruce the Aussie,

Massed mindflayers aren't all that tough with a little preparation. I wrote a thread on this a couple days ago entitled "Aggressive Mindflayer tactics" describing how to take groups of mindflayers head-on with NO summoned monsters without breaking a sweat!!!

This is the quick-and-dirty outline ...
1. Cast the priest spell Chaotic Commands on your fighters. It protects against most of the psionic attacks. Only INT drain remains effective.
2. (optional) Have the fighters drink the Mind Focusing potion. It provides a little extra protection against the INT drain.

Taking these 2 protective steps will allow a party's fighters to clear out an entire mindflayer dungeon without breaking a sweat.

Use 3 fighters if possible, since when one of the fighters takes a couple INT drain hits, you'll need to pull him out of the battle long enough for the INT drain to go away. The other 2 fighters will keep up the pressure until the 3rd fighter returns. Only use the other party members from a distance. Keep the mindflayers fully focused on your protected fighters.