Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I need to prepare an oral report on Spain. HELP!! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91434)

Larry_OHF 08-28-2004 05:20 PM

<font color=skyblue>What is a good topic of discussion regarding Spain's culture?</font>

Gangrell 08-28-2004 05:27 PM

The more common choice being bullfights, I suppose you could talk about their traditions or feastive holidays.

aleph_null1 08-28-2004 06:29 PM

An interesting one might be to note just now many different cultures that nation has -- Cataluña is about as different from Madrid as either or both are from Málaga & the southerners, to say nothing of the islanders (who are just weird)...

It would at least be an unusual topic.

dplax 08-28-2004 07:09 PM

You could also talk about the wines and food specialties the spanish have.

[ 08-28-2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]

Mouse 08-28-2004 07:24 PM

Do a brief precis on how various waves of immigrants/conquerors have given Spain it's rich multi-cultural heritage.......

......or anything else you feel comfortable with, In my experience, these things go best when you talk about a subject you feel empathy for, or at least a degree of interest in ;)

Larry_OHF 08-28-2004 07:26 PM

<font color=skyblue>Hey...Spain is responsible for the World's use of cacao today to make chocolate. In fact, if not for Spanish chocolate, many countries of the world would not have cared coffee! It was used for 100 years or more in High society Spain as a Drink of the Gods...and they kept the secret of how to make it away from Europeans a long time.

How is this?

So I guess if I was to do it, I need to know some things about Spain and Chocolate, like what they do with it today and maybe how it was used in ancient days, such as in wedding ceramonies and stuff. </font>

[ 08-28-2004, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Bungleau 08-29-2004 12:00 AM

Now THAT is a topic worth covering!

I'd pick a simple structure -- origins of chocolate, how it was used in the past, and how it's used to day, perhaps. Expand to recipes, folklore... heck, the list seems immense, just thinking about it [img]smile.gif[/img] I'd make a list of all the things you think you could cover, and then narrow it down to no more than six (depending on the time you have to present).

TheCrimsomBlade 08-29-2004 12:48 AM

The invention of the chocolate Taco. Simple enough? or is that Mexico? :D

shadowhound 08-29-2004 01:34 AM

You could talk about how the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain :D [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Larry_OHF 08-29-2004 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by shadowhound:
You could talk about how the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain :D [img]tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=skyblue>Now that would have been great! Too bad I did not get that idea eariler!</font>