Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   A good free antivirus? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93887)

Luvian 07-12-2005 10:18 AM

My Norton Expired, and I decided to give a try to one of those free antivirus I keep hearing about. Anyone know of a good one?

RoSs_bg2_rox 07-12-2005 10:41 AM

AVG antivirus is probably the best out there. Get it from www.grisoft.com

Lady Sedai 07-12-2005 10:43 AM

I'll second that.

My hubby (the computer "guru" ;) ) swears by AVG. [img]smile.gif[/img]

We have it at home, he put it on my mother's computers AND he switched his employer's computers (about 40) over to AVG.

Larry_OHF 07-12-2005 11:51 AM

<font color=skyblue>People here on IW also use Avast, and that is the one I picked up.</font>

dplax 07-12-2005 12:05 PM

I would suggest Avast. It has daily virus database updates (sometimes even more than 1 update per day), it has kept me clean for quite a long time now. It has a free or a paying version, with the free one being quite sufficient also. It also uses less memory in my experience as AVG (used that before Avast) and scans faster.

Bungleau 07-12-2005 03:37 PM

I use AVG on my machines, but I haven't done a real comparison like dplax appears to have done [img]smile.gif[/img]

I know some folks also use Panda (and I don't know the URL :( ).

Bozos of Bones 07-12-2005 05:57 PM

I have now done a full comparison between Avast! and AVG, both latest versions.
Avast took thirty seven minutes to scan approximately 130GB of hard drive space. On a Barton 2500+ the taken processor time was around 25-45, and in an empty WindowsXP the usage is 5-10%. The Page File Usage was around 530 MB, against the usual 490MB, and it took about fifty or so MB of RAM.
AVG took twenty two minutes to perform the check on the same hard drive. Note that during the first test AVG has been unloaded, so he could not have learnt from avast's scans. The processor usage was between 40 and 65%, page file 550 or so and about 80 MB of RAM was used for it.
On one of my drives I have a secured and hidden folder with compressed tools, viruses, trojans, worms and whatnot, a total of 17 malware programs. I use it to grade antivirus programs. So far, not one AV program has managed to find all of them. Avast didn't find any of them, whereas AVG finds 4. And they both picked up a small worm I recently got off a friend's hard drive.
AVG seems to be the bigger gun.

StigTC 07-13-2005 07:07 AM

Well just to add a third option, (and because I'd kinda like for Bozos to test this one) I'm gonna recommend www.free-av.com. It's called Antivir and I think I've recommended it to some of you before in the now dead chat channel.

Bozos of Bones 07-13-2005 07:42 AM

I remember having Antivir for a while, a while back. Can't remember how good/bad it was. I'll test it later.

Bungleau 07-13-2005 07:59 AM

Bozos is my new AV testing god... :D