Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Word help (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93256)

Spelca 03-25-2005 10:57 AM

Does anybody know how to make [ ] go over two or more lines in Word? So that
blah
blah
would be within these square brackets? (one on the left and one of the right, one bracket being two lines "tall")

Also, how do I remove a table from Word, but keep the text inside it? All I can think of is copy every single line from the table, but that would take too long. I have about 150 lines... :(

Thanks.

Bungleau 03-25-2005 11:13 AM

Lessee... you could try putting the text in three columns, with [ in the left and ] in the right. Then increase their font size until they are as big as you want them.

But that's messy, IMHO, and requires you to completely redo it every time you change the text. I'd probably simply select the text and put a right and left border on it, which would automatically adjust to whatever size text you have.

As for the table, have you tried selecting the table, copying it, and doing a Paste Special? I just tried it and it worked... I told it to paste unformatted text.

VulcanRider 03-25-2005 11:30 AM

Type a bracket where you want it to go, then highlight the bracket. Go to Format --> Insert Text Box and that'll put the bracket in it's own box. Then you can change the font size without affecting the rest of the document. Next right-click on the box surrounding the bracket (the cursor will look like a double-headed arrow) and select Format Text Box. In the "Line" section change the color to No Fill and you'll have a bracket with no visible box.

To remove a table & keep the text, why not copy/paste all the text into Notepad, then delete the table & copy/paste back into Word?

Spelca 03-25-2005 11:34 AM

Thanks for the table help. That helped. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm still having problems with the brackets though. The problem is I have text to the left and right side of the brackets too. For example:

I was actually hoping you could [tell me]?
[Yea well] I wanted to ask you something first...

Where the things in the brackets, in two lines, need to have those brackets around them...

Bungleau 03-25-2005 03:57 PM

You could select the brackets, one at a time, and make them a much larger font. I'm not really sure, though, what it is that you're trying to accomplish. I thought it was clear, but that's before you added the mud [img]smile.gif[/img]

VulcanRider 03-25-2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spelca:
Thanks for the table help. That helped. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm still having problems with the brackets though. The problem is I have text to the left and right side of the brackets too. For example:

I was actually hoping you could [tell me]?
[Yea well] I wanted to ask you something first...

Where the things in the brackets, in two lines, need to have those brackets around them...

Maybe create multiple text boxes, one for the "left text", one for the "left bracket", one for the "middle text", one for the "right bracket", and one for the "right text".

javan 03-26-2005 08:28 AM

As for changing the table to text try:
</font>
  1. click on menu Table>Select>Table to select the whole table</font>
  2. click on menu Table>convert>Table to Text</font>
  3. a popup menu will ask you what character do you want to separate the text with:</font>
    1. </font>
    2. paragraph marks (each cell will go an a separate line);</font>
    3. tabs (keeps the table format without the gridlines);</font>
    4. commas;</font>
    5. or any other character you choose (hyphen, space, etc.)</font>
This is the method I ususally choose.