Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Outsmarting Google Maps... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94837)

Bungleau 02-11-2006 02:33 PM

Someone got a little creative with their land, knowing what Google maps does.

Note: Not exactly a family-friendly map location. You've been warned...

Ivelliis 02-11-2006 03:08 PM

LOL

Funny stuff.

Larry_OHF 02-11-2006 03:29 PM

<font color=skyblue>I tried to find it with Google Earth outside that link, to find out if it was real or faked on the picture, but I cannot get any closer than within a couple large cities of it. I was trying to follow the names of the roads, but I just had no luck. It is somewhere in Great Britain, North of Birmingham...</font>

Felix The Assassin 02-11-2006 03:53 PM

<font color=8fbc8f>There are thousands of creative artists out of work! Then, there are people with too much time on thier hands, but not enough skill. At least one should be able to use layers, and blurs prior to attempting something of this nature.
One of my personal favorites.</font>

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/212...2257JOQN_w.jpg

[ 02-11-2006, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

andrewas 02-11-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
<font color=8fbc8f>There are thousands of creative artists out of work! Then, there are people with too much time on thier hands, but not enough skill. At least one should be able to use layers, and blurs prior to attempting something of this nature.
Actualy, it seems to be made of bales of hay, 'artisticaly' lined up. No photoshop involved. Really. Go see. Coordinates 53.53874N 1.346804W.

[ 02-11-2006, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]

Ilander 02-11-2006 07:36 PM

Prime time to bring it up...anybody play with Google Earth any? It's a great program...I just wish it was available offline...

One of these days, it would be nice to have a COMPLETE photographic map of the earth...

This is very CLOSE to that goal, but isn't very high resolution for some areas.

Felix The Assassin 02-11-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by andrewas:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:

Actualy, it seems to be made of bales of hay, 'artisticaly' lined up. No photoshop involved. Really. Go see. Coordinates 53.53874N 1.346804W. </font>[/QUOTE]<font color=8fbc8f>Damn, don't make me...Go into ....
Thou you are good with hardware!!!!!
As a amatur photographer, and one who can hold their own in GIMP, or that overly priced PS software, I will give you three hints.

1. Google copyright transposed underneath the second layer of the u to c, and c to k. Now look at the rest of the picture. Not a coincedence, a slight of hand!
2. Shadow, look at the shadow of the trees, the power-line tower, the cars, and then look at the letters. The natural shadow flows from base to upper left. The letters however, flow from center to lower right. A terrible mistake!
3. The finale, go down to the next field, and look at those "hay bales"!

Understand that, Google has NOT done anything out of the ordinary here. For years I have viewed the earth from above using different types of satellite imagery, some from military grade, some from scientific grade, and others from various terra servers. Sadly, the 'free' version of terra server for the UK, does not zoom in to this detail.

Now, the question is, who has a satellite view of this area other than the google view? </font>

Ilander 02-11-2006 09:14 PM

By Google Earth, .6 miles away, there's a crop circle...I'd be willing to bet that it's local pranksters after said "occurance"s

I've gotta disagree with you on this one, Felix, mostly by the circumstantial evidence of the crop circles. There's no google copyright on the image in Google Earth...

Finally, after careful examination...Felix, the letters are in NEGATIVE. They're in grain that has been laid down, not hay bales on top of a cut grain field...which makes the shadows consistent.

Yep. It's the work of some pranksters, in response to that crop circle to the South West.

Bungleau 02-11-2006 10:43 PM

I searched in google.co.uk for Billingley, which is a city just east of this spot. It came back. I panned around a lot as well. Anyone who'd fake this would be duplicating all of google maps in the UK...

I found the area on several other maps. It's near Rotherham and Goldthorpe.

Just couldn't find another satellite image... anyone know where one might be available?

Felix The Assassin 02-11-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ilander:
By Google Earth, .6 miles away, there's a crop circle...I'd be willing to bet that it's local pranksters after said "occurance"s

I've gotta disagree with you on this one, Felix, mostly by the circumstantial evidence of the crop circles. There's no google copyright on the image in Google Earth...

Finally, after careful examination...Felix, the letters are in NEGATIVE. They're in grain that has been laid down, not hay bales on top of a cut grain field...which makes the shadows consistent.

Yep. It's the work of some pranksters, in response to that crop circle to the South West.

<font color=8fbc8f>Hold up, One of us is confused here.
Crop circle? No, no comparison.
Google copyright? Correct, looking at the whole, it does not appear with Google earth, only on the direct link.
Letters, yes, look at the tree. From center base, the shadow moves up and left, or North by West or NW. Within the letters, the shadow moves South by East or SE. This can be exemplified by looking into the inner part of the letters. Right, they are not hay bales.
Pranksters, Yes, most certainly! But of which genere?</font>