Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Dualing Question (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49484)

Sylent 12-21-2000 06:51 PM

Ya, I just have a question, which I am not too sure about...
I wanted to start a dual class character, from the start of bg2, but I am not sure how this works...
It would seem to me that, if I wanted to do this, I would have to Dual class once I started the game up, is this correct?
For excample, I want to be a Theif/Mage, where my first class is theif, and My second is Mage... Obviously this would allow me good theif skills (lvl 7 or , and advance as far as possible with a mage...
this is all cool, but I am wondering whether I can select the level at which I wanted to dual class, before I actually started...
For example, I could choose to dual class my theif at level six, and have a head start on my mage level up... This would probably work quite well, but I dont know if it would be very easy to start off with...
Has anybody actually tried to play through the game in this fashion.
Is the only way to do what I, to go back to BG1, and dual class at level six, to a mage, then import my character in?
P.S, if you import a mage from bg1, do you get the "Robes of good arch magi" when you start the game???

Ertai, Wizard Adept 12-21-2000 06:57 PM

I think you cant start a dualed character and any character you start (new or imported) will start NAKED.

Suul-Yinn 12-21-2000 07:00 PM

You can't start with a dual class charcter, but you could dual immediately after you started. The alternative is to use shadowkeeper to edit your character, but frankly you should dual a thief at level 11 (220,000 EXP), as this still allows you to reach the highest mage level 17 (2,625,000 EXP), if you keep to the EXP cap of 2.95 million.

Sylent 12-21-2000 07:01 PM

I know that they dont originally have anything on them, but I read on another site, that you get some weapons, or something, which you had in bg1... (ie long sword +2)
So does anyone use Dual class in bg2?

Sylent 12-21-2000 07:06 PM

That sounds like a damn good idea, I might try that, but surely you would suck until you reached about lvl five as a mage???
Has anyone actually tried playing with a dual classed character, which they started in bg2?
sounds like I might have to use shadowkeeper...
I would also like to try a fighter/mage...
is there any reason why you cant choose the level which you wanted to dual class from in bg2?
I think this would be really cool

Yorick 12-21-2000 07:07 PM

You can find a few of the weapons from BG1 throughout various parts of the gameworld. If you are in muliplayer and import a character after the game has started the gear comes in with you. Kind of felt like cheating for me though.

Ertai, Wizard Adept 12-21-2000 07:20 PM

Yes you find some of the stuff but...better find it yourself (no spoils)

About dualing, I started a berserker and dualed to mage. As you get xp very fast in this game you suck only for a short time and then your mage has high HP, cool weapons, shield and helm which is much better than a normal mage (but cant especialize)

Ertai, Wizard Adept 12-21-2000 07:29 PM

I forgot to say that the only BIG disadvantage i find in fighter-mages are their aspect. THIS ALMOST NAKED LOOK SUCKS !!!!

Armisael 12-21-2000 09:14 PM

I started my character - a human fighter - in BG2, and when I got to level twelve, decided that I wanted to use magic. I dualled him to a mage. It took a long time to make up the fighter levels, and if I'd thought about it, it would have made a lot more sense dualling at an earlier level - say nine or ten - so I could not only get an extra level as a mage and be able to use level eight spells, but also make up that EP quicker. He's still a very effective character, though, and I don't regret dualling him for one second.
That naked look is a bit annoying. Why doesn't anyone wear pants in BG?

Yorick 12-21-2000 10:21 PM

If he's a Berzerker give him blue skin and a Pictish name. The Picts were so named because they fought naked with blue dyed skin. Such apparent bravery freaked out their enemies.