Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   $10 the cost of a human life? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82797)

Downunda 11-20-2002 10:04 PM

Seems like the Bali Bombers weren't just doing it for kicks; they got paid for it and all... News Story

antryg 11-20-2002 11:14 PM

Ideaology and Religion are usually the mask that cowardly killers like to use.
I believe the truth is these people are motivated solely by greed and hate.

SirTristram 11-20-2002 11:24 PM

That is absolutely terrible!

/)eathKiller 11-21-2002 01:42 AM

That's pretty sad... but a daily aspect of life. it doesn't have to be, but sometimes we just have to face the music that life isn't perfect, i think things like this happen to challange us and make us prove ourseles worthy of a greater cause...

Slizerio 11-21-2002 01:53 AM

That is not worth it! They are insane!
But notice howthe media blamed Osama Bin Laden as soon as it happened? The media is getting a bit paranoid.

Grojlach 11-21-2002 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Slizerio:
The media is getting a bit paranoid.
"getting"? It is only a matter of time till they will link Al Qaida back to Pokemon, as well as the Eurovision Songfestival, Microsoft, Harry Potter, the worldwide success of Anastacia, Ja Rule, Shakira and Puddle of Mudd and the ever increasing number of dumb right-winged politicians.

I mean, there's gotta be *some* sort of despicably evil mastermind behind all of that? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

[ 11-21-2002, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]

Barry the Sprout 11-21-2002 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Grojlach:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Slizerio:
The media is getting a bit paranoid.

"getting"? It is only a matter of time till they will link Al Qaida back to Pokemon, as well as the Eurovision Songfestival, Microsoft, Harry Potter, the worldwide success of Anastacia, Ja Rule, Shakira and Puddle of Mudd and the ever increasing number of dumb right-winged politicians.

I mean, there's gotta be *some* sort of despicably evil mastermind behind all of that? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
</font>[/QUOTE]Al Qaida... Al Queda... Al Queida... we can't spell it - thats why its so scary!

MagiK 11-21-2002 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Al Qaida... Al Queda... Al Queida... we can't spell it - thats why its so scary!
<font color="#ff6666">Well the spelling problems come from the people who are responsible for translating the language, there seems to be no real hard and fast rule for spelling when translating from arabic to english. I can't tell you how many ways I saw "Kadhafi" spelled during the 80's.</font>

Grojlach 11-21-2002 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Al Qaida... Al Queda... Al Queida... we can't spell it - thats why its so scary!
How is it properly spelled, anyways? [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
When I enter some of the terms into google, I get this...

Al Qaida - 252,000 results
Al Qaeda - 535,000 results
Al Queda - 23,100 results
Al Queida - 721 results
Al Quaida - 20,200 results
Al Queida - 90 results

At CNN they use Al Qaeda, at the BBC Al-Qaeda. Here in the Netherlands they mostly use Al Qaida. The plot is thickening... ;)

edit: and yes, of course I know you're right about that, MagiK. It varies from language to language and from people to people how it's translated. ;)

[ 11-21-2002, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]

WillowIX 11-21-2002 09:11 AM

My guess is that the media alters the spelling to give more accurate pronounciation. [img]smile.gif[/img] Back to the topic then. Killing people this way is despicable whether you get paid or not.

Blaming it on Islam (or using Islam as an excuse) is dumb and silly. There is no other religion that preaches peace as Islam does. Of course interpretation is everything in this case. And a final note. Christianity has had its share of violence too. That brings me back to power. Itīs in my power to do this, therefore I shall for all injustices made to me. Using my people instead of me is silly. I donīt think most muslims are planning to kill innocent people...