Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   NWN2: Toolset Q&A (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37194)

Memnoch 11-03-2006 05:37 AM

I was prepared to keep an open mind until I actually got my hands on the game and the toolset. Now that I have it, I absolutely HATE this toolset - it's the most unintuitive thing ever. Even with NWN 1 you could dive in and work out how to use things - the wizards were easy to use. With this one you need to read all the help files to understand how to do even basic things like lay tiles, delete tiles, create areas, etc. Maybe it's a familiarity issue, and maybe it's designed for advanced users, but even just looking at it is daunting.

Some questions I have:

1. I want to lay out a normal interior tile (no corners with pillars, just normal floor. How do I do that? There's an option for open floor but all I see is black when I lay it down.

2. How do I scroll up and down and sideways? In the old toolset you had those arrow buttons to use. I can't work out how to do it with this one.

3. How do I lay creatures down?

4. How do I create items?

I realise these are elementary questions, but I'm not finding the toolset intuitive at all.

Memnoch 11-03-2006 09:02 AM

Another question: how do you change the camera's angle while in the toolset? (Eg if you want to lower or raise it)

Memnoch 11-04-2006 05:12 AM

Damn, I just don't have any luck with this game I think. Now my toolset isn't working!

I used to be able to access it fine initially (created a little module area), but since yesterday I've been getting this error:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8...oblegv6.th.jpg

I've uninstalled and reinstalled and it didn't seem to fix the problem.

Any suggestions? I'm on the Bio boards as well.

Ziroc 11-04-2006 05:43 AM

I think that is the Microsoft .NET error. Maybe reinstall the Net files?

Memnoch 11-04-2006 03:59 PM

I ended up reinstalling the whole bloody thing again and now it works (and I can download the patch too, only I had to free up 20GB of space as they have a poorly designed autopatcher).

Bithron 11-05-2006 06:50 AM

On a side note: I think they made it hard on purpose. They're selling a world builder guide on amazon... :(

Gnarf 11-05-2006 07:27 AM

I'd imagine they made it as easy as they needed to be able to use it efficiently themselves, which is probably a bit harder than what Average Joe would need to easily be able to pick it up and start building stuff.

Memnoch 11-13-2006 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gnarf:
I'd imagine they made it as easy as they needed to be able to use it efficiently themselves, which is probably a bit harder than what Average Joe would need to easily be able to pick it up and start building stuff.
This is damn right - I have a feeling that the toolset is more powerful, but targetted to experienced programmers. There's so much functionality that is just not intuitive and that I have no idea what the function is. I've been trying to do simple things like create areas and items, but for some reason my item can't be picked up (even though I enabled it in Item Properties).

Plus the manual is just very poor. Anyone know what that Worldbuilders Guide is like? I'd be willing to pay for it if it's good.

Z or any other mod builders out there? Comments on the toolset? It's probably going to be a lot easier for Z to understand it than me.

Memnoch 11-20-2006 09:41 PM

Comments on the toolset?

SpiritWarrior 11-20-2006 10:55 PM

More potential and options. Draconic and clumsy.

A step ahead but one behind at the same time, much like NWN 2 as a whole. They left out or changed things that were working so well. You guessed it, the controls. Yes, even in the toolset they are annoying. The only way to scroll around is to hold the mouse button and drag the map toward you. No more directional arrows allowing you to glide around your map seamlessly...Now you have to drag your way to carpal tunnel. God help you if you made a large area.