Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Girl's cause divorces.... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78719)

Timber Loftis 07-06-2005 01:02 PM

No, it is the same where we live, except the surname is last. My children, for instance, will be Loftis's -- despite the fact that Rain has no last name. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

Morgeruat 07-06-2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Illumina, you said what I was just going to say! It isn't the woman who determines the gender of the child so it's been pretty ironic that historically she's been blamed when a boy child isn't born!

Kakero, best of luck in your situation. Just one thing though, keep in mind that the older your prospective bride gets, the harder it will be to conceive at all, never mind the chosen gender preference. If she's the same age you are, things get much harder in about 3 yrs as fertility rates drop significantly for many women after 30.

PS: Lucern, an individual's experience is just as valid to that person as vague statistics without any backup. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think it is as valid to those experiencing it, at any rate! :D Besides, some researcher somewhere will just use our situations to prove the rule- exceptions and all that jazz! :D

I believe also statistically men are more likely to produce girls as they grow older.

Lucern 07-07-2005 04:38 AM

Quote:

PS: Lucern, an individual's experience is just as valid to that person as vague statistics without any backup. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think it is as valid to those experiencing it, at any rate! :D Besides, some researcher somewhere will just use our situations to prove the rule- exceptions and all that jazz! :D

Oh I agree Cloudy. My objection was on scientific grounds, and to be clear, I definately wasn't commenting on anyone posting personal experiences. What else would we do! I was objecting to the use of personal experience to dismiss research. It is tempting and natural to measure new information against what you know from your personal life, but from perspective of understanding humanity in a broader sense, it's misleading. Our experiences do matter, but in social science, groups of 1000's randomly picked experiences matter much much more [img]smile.gif[/img]

I read elsewhere that the claims of the researchers were wholly incongruous with this article's exploration. They say, and they have every right to based on the numbers they have, that they found a 'correlative' link between divorce and the gender of children. That simply means that the numbers show a relationship within the (unknown from this article) parameters. It doesn't reveal the nature of that relationship, just that there is one. They specifically say there are no grounds for a causal relationship between the two based on the data they have. What's the title of that article? "Do Daughters Cause Divorce?" Hmph. :D The causal relationship is not established. Perhaps more variables like number and ages of children, and average family income would reveal similar correlations that are more informative together. I really doubt the usefulness of any single variable in explaining causes of the termination of such complex relationships.

And it's uncommon to cite contradictory information to support your conclusions, contrary to the common phrase ;)

Svaerdhelgon 07-07-2005 12:07 PM

As a brother of three girls (two older,one younger) and now living with another two young girls I know that girls tend to argue and fight A LOT! Seriously every other family with daughters I know of also fight alot while the boys tend to not fight. Girls are more demanding it seems

Thoran 07-07-2005 04:10 PM

Most of this gender 'research' is subject to agenda based distortion... I take the vast majority of it with a grain of salt.

I'd love to have a girl, my wife is happy with two boys. She believes girls are harder to raise, and maybe she's right but I think that perhaps most of her opinion is based on her difficult relationship with her mother. I wonder if the (well documented) problems many women have with their mothers isn't the root cause of these sorts of 'reports', although for the life of me I can't see how mother/daughter conflict would significantly affect the divorce rate. Perhaps the husband sides with the daughter once too often and it's splitsville. [img]smile.gif[/img]

John D Harris 07-07-2005 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Look, first off some of the percentages, such a 5%, are not major deviations.

Second, the reasoning for this is simple. It's not that sons glue marriages together, it's that one woman is hard enough to live with, let alone multiple ones... each with their own "issues"....

Preach it Timber Preach it ;)

Can't live with 'em, can't chop em up in little pieces and bury 'em in the rose garden. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But then on the flip side a woman never shot a man while he was washing dishes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

John D Harris 07-07-2005 11:59 PM

Quote:

I'd read somewhere long ago that GIRLS are much more likely to provide care and nurture for parents in their old age than boys and are much more likely to be there when needed. In fact, from my own extended family experience, I'd have to say this is proving to be the case, so I guess they were right that we can find other explanations for most of their 'findings'!

Miss Cloudbringer Ma'am, What's the old wives tale: "A son's a son until he takes a wife, a daughter's a daughter all her life."

Sometimes them thar old wives hit the nail on the head.

John D Harris 07-08-2005 12:08 AM

Lordy, lordy ,lordy it's basic common sense girls's cause die-vorces.

If'n thar taint no girls's thar sure as "Hale" taint no marry-ages, after one generation.

Hivetyrant 07-08-2005 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by John D Harris:
Lordy, lordy ,lordy it's basic common sense girls's cause die-vorces.

If'n thar taint no girls's thar sure as "Hale" taint no marry-ages, after one generation.

Dude, what chu be smokin??? [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img]

John D Harris 07-08-2005 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Dude, what chu be smokin??? [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img]
What ever I can get away with ;)