Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Yahoo! Another Greek in Ironworks! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73188)

Sir Byronas 01-27-2002 11:05 AM

Finally! I am not naymore alone here! There's a new member named THANATOS and he is from Greece!

Melusine 01-27-2002 11:10 AM

OMG!! That's so freaky!! :eek: :eek: [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Would you believe me if I said I just changed my password somewhere (not gonna say where, obviously) to Thanatos??? That is quite a coincidence..... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Gonna change it right away :D

Sorcerer Alex 01-27-2002 11:15 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Melusine:
Gonna change it right away :D <hr></blockquote>

To what?

Honestly, some people are so distrustful sometimes ;)

Sir Byronas 01-27-2002 11:27 AM

OMG!! That's so freaky!! :eek: :eek: [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Would you believe me if I said I just changed my password somewhere (not gonna say where, obviously) to Thanatos??? That is quite a coincidence..... [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Gonna change it right away :D
<hr></blockquote>
Really? Did you knew that Thanatos (Θάνατος in Greek leters) means death in Greek? In my opinion this is freaky!

Melusine 01-27-2002 11:30 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sir Byronas:

Really? Did you knew that Thanatos (Θάνατος in Greek leters) means death in Greek? In my opinion this is freaky!
<hr></blockquote>

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] Of course I do, you don't think I *accidentally* came up with your word for death, right? :D Doh...
But actually, I said Thanatos, capital T. So I meant the God of Death, not death.

Sir Exxon 01-27-2002 11:57 AM

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] Of course I do, you don't think I *accidentally* came up with your word for death, right? :D Doh...
But actually, I said Thanatos, capital T. So I meant the God of Death, not death.
<hr></blockquote>

<font color="gold">Again, I must say I'm impressed by your knowledge, Mel.

Happy for ya, Byronas!
But ofcourse, Norway is bigger in members... [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>

see ya!

Lord Shield 01-27-2002 12:09 PM

Thanatos is a meaty God of Death. His name was used for an amusing game many years back where you play a dragon

I remember in that game you had to re-fuel your flames by chomping the staked woman :D :D - after you'd picked the defending knight off his horse and dropped him from a great height!

Melusine 01-27-2002 12:20 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Thanatos is a meaty God of Death. His name was used for an amusing game many years back where you play a dragon
<hr></blockquote>

Well, what mythological figure hasn't been used for some stupid game or other at some point? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sir Byronas 01-27-2002 12:26 PM

Sorry Mel but I have to say that you are wrong! The name of the god of death is Ades. He was the king of the other world (something like Hell but much more cold). He was the brother of Zeus.

Melusine 01-27-2002 12:36 PM

Byronas, believe me I know what I'm talking about. Hades, as it is spelled in English, is indeed the brother of Zeus, god of the Underworld and husband to Persephone, but Thanatos *is* the personification of Death and the God of Death as well.

Just like Selene is the (lesser) goddess of the moon (the one who rides the chariot of the moon during the night) while Artemis is also the goddess of the moon (and hunt, and chastity). The same goes for Apollo and Helios. Just like Aphrodite is the goddess of beauty and love, and yet Eros is the god of love as well.

There can be more than one, obviously. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: incidentally, as you probably know, Hades is not only the name of the God, but also of his residence. The underworld is also called Hades.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Melusine ]</p>