Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New Character (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4669)

Rankor 12-10-2001 11:43 PM

Hello all,

I'm just starting a new game and want to play a new character. What is your advice?

The character I played before was a female conjurer. I'd like to go with a male this time, so that I don't have to deal with that creepy Anomen always coming on to me. Plus, Viconia is a hottie! Also, some fighter type, as I'd like to get the keep for a fighter. Also, I'm thinking of a dual-classed character, since I usually play single class ones. They get powerful, but are sometimes limited. I was thinking about a fighter who duals to druid, cause I've never played a druid before, but don't know if this is even possible. What are your suggestions?

Dundee Slaytern 12-10-2001 11:57 PM

Fighters can dual to Druids, but you need to be True Neutral. I do not know what the stats requirements are, somebody else should be able to help you here.

Anarion 12-11-2001 09:46 AM

Play as a kit druid. Shapeshifters are good. Dueling to a druid probebly isnt the best idea as you will have to get a lot more xp- cos druids go up very slowly in levels

gabriel986 12-11-2001 10:10 AM

???

Druids go up to about level 9 incredibly fast, so dualling might be a good idea.

Micah Foehammer 12-11-2001 10:14 AM

I've seen a lot of people rave about a Kensai dualled to a mage, but haven't played one myself.

A single class Monk is a great option. But if you want to play dual, then a swashbuckler/cleric or swashbuckler/mage would be a good choice.

BALROGBANE 12-11-2001 10:17 AM

STALKER STALKER STALKER STALKER STALKER STALKER STALKER STALKER STALKER OR ALTERNATIVLEY sTALKER

Anansi 12-11-2001 11:57 AM

Hmm, I'd recommend something other than a common fighter mage combo. Something like a fighter druid, or an archer is supposed to be workable. . .

Really you should just choose what appeals to your own character most, that make roleplaying easier...

Gary Smith 12-11-2001 01:27 PM

If you have ToB then be a kensai and dual to a thief at level 13. youll see why hehe. check out my post in the ToB forum for why you need to try this out :D

SixOfSpades 12-11-2001 01:38 PM

Druids do indeed zip through Levels 1-10 extremely fast, even faster than Thieves. But they are SO DAMN SLOW in Levels 10-15. In fact, in the whole game of Baldur's Gate 2, they only gain FOUR levels. Come on, Fighter/Cleric/Thieves level up faster than that. The reward for tolerating this abysmally slow level gain comes in ToB, when you hit Level 15 and suddenly are up to 6 memorization slots for ALL your spell levels--this is a huge jump from Level 14. Then, each time you level up, you get Druid special abilities, etc.

I'm doing a Totemic Druid myself, and I'm only going to stick around for a couple of the Druid high-level abilities, and Dual to Fighter at around Level 18. For a Druid to Dual to Fighter, you need at least 15 Wisdom and 17 Strength. To go the other way, you need to be True Neutral and have 15 STR, 17 WIS, and 15 CHA.

As far as Fighter->Mages go, the Kensai->Mage is a big favorite. Kensais have the disadvantages of not being allowed to use armor or missile weapons--but they can still use Throwing Daggers/Axes, and if they Dual to a Mage, they can wear Bracers and Mage robes. I might do that next time, but for now I'll stick with a plain Fighter->Mage, kickin' ass with his Bow. Another tactic (which seems a little chessy to me) is to make a Kensai, then Dual to Thief. Thieves will eventually get the Use Any Item ability, so your character will be able to use literally anything--Mage wands, Cleric scrolls, and those cool missile weapons and Plate armors that are supposed to be off-limits to a Kensai.

Aragorn1 12-11-2001 01:49 PM

What is best to dual from a theif to, and what retrictions are there