Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fav Character (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3003)

Dace De'Briago 02-01-2005 05:44 PM

A powergamed character doesn't really require any more than 93 stat points.

Put 3 into Charisma and use the Ring of Human Influence/Rod of Smiting Charisma wraparound bug to get 25 Charisma.

Marty4 02-01-2005 06:13 PM

Well, I rolled it very quickly, so I really wasn't intentionally powergaming that much. Also, elf CHA minimum is 8.

Dace De'Briago 02-01-2005 10:21 PM

When rolling, I usually look at the attributes that do not have a minimum requirement. e.g. when rolling a Paladin, I look at STR, DEX and CON because I know both CHA and WIS have high minimum requirements.

I re-roll until each of these is 15+ (or two very high rolls) before checking the other stats. This ensures that the character is going to be a contender.

With an elven character, I would ignore CHA and again concentrate on STR, CON and DEX. The only difference is that there would be two other variables to consider.

Note that Rangers have minimums for several of their stats, making them a good contender for powergaming (I'm also thinking ranger > cleric dual).

krunchyfrogg 02-06-2005 11:43 PM

Dace, you should put a warning about powergaming in your signature! [img]tongue.gif[/img] :D

Dace De'Briago 02-07-2005 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
Dace, you should put a warning about powergaming in your signature! [img]tongue.gif[/img] :D
Well, I'm totally against 'cheating' characters in any sense with a game editor, so I take all of the advantages the engine offers me.

krunchyfrogg 02-07-2005 10:02 PM

Hehe, I know man. I agree with you: there's an enormous difference between cheating and powergaming.

Black Robed One 02-08-2005 06:12 AM

Black Robed One, never saw what was so EXTREMLY difficult about Baldur's Gate for so many people to create unrealistically overpowered characters... There must be something that is fun about it, but BRO fails to see this something...

Dace De'Briago 02-08-2005 05:49 PM

The protagonist is the child of a <EDITED FOR THE SAKE OF HAVING A RELATIVELY SPOILER FREE POST>. What is so unrealistic about the character having godlike abilities?

Black Robed One 02-09-2005 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
The protagonist is the child of a <EDITED FOR THE SAKE OF HAVING A RELATIVELY SPOILER FREE POST>. What is so unrealistic about the character having godlike abilities?
Even deities have strong and weak points (although naturally, their “standards” are FAR higher then that of mortals); no deity has stats like: 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 10.

Also, keep in mind, that apart from some special abilities the characters gains, he is effectively still a mortal (at least until Throne of Bhaal; I haven’t played it yet, so I don’t know if character become a deity in there or no), with perfectly mortal ability scores, even though they will likely be somewhat higher then those of normal people (including recruitable NPCs).

Also keep in mind that…

!!!SPOILER!!!
Don’t read the following unless you finished the first half of Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn!!!
You have been warned!

…Imoen is a Bhaalspawn as well, which doen’t prevent her from having high (18, 17, 16, 16, 11, 9) but not overpowering ability scores. Why should the main character be different in this regard?

P.S.

BRO still fails to understand where is fun in having such unrealistically high ability scores, especially since more realistic characters are capable of passing the game without too much difficulty…

krunchyfrogg 02-09-2005 09:40 PM

Sarevok is the son of a deity, and he's got pretty good stats.

If you've played ToB, there's a city with a ton of Bhaalspawn in it, and most of 'em are commoners.

The protagonists stats should be largely varied. There are some people who enjoy playing a guy with really high stats, there are some who hate it.

It's your game, have fun with whatever you like.