Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Death to the apostrophe? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85129)

Yorick 04-11-2003 02:01 PM

Are you a culprit? Do you write 'YOUR' (possessive) when you mean "YOU'RE" (you are)??

What about he's, she's, I'm, I've or You'd? DO they become hes shes Im Ive and Youd?

Is it Ziroc's board or do you imply Ziroc's actually two things by saying "Zirocs"?

Are you guilty of apostrophical murder??

Come on... own up... you know who you are....

[ 04-11-2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

Dude 77 04-11-2003 02:08 PM

I am"Sob" guil"sob"ty"Sob"

arest me an "so" throw me in ja"Sob"il

MagiK 04-11-2003 02:17 PM

<font color="#ffccff">
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
</font>

realbinky 04-11-2003 02:26 PM

MagiK, is that all the apostrophes you owe the board? I myself, hate the their/there/they're and the your/you're mix-ups, and so usually get it right. However, due to fat fingering, you're often appears as you;re and I'm is I;m. I usually let the spell checker fix them, which is what Dude (you SOB) should do, arest = arrest or arest = a nap. I assume arrest [img]tongue.gif[/img]

andrewas 04-11-2003 02:30 PM

Apostrophes are 100% unneccesary. There isnt a single case I'm aware of when the lack of an apostrophe changes the apparent meaning. That being so, there are better things to do with ones time than getting obscure counter-intuitive grammatical rules correct.

Djinn Raffo 04-11-2003 02:38 PM

im totally guilty of this. As well as not using caps lots of times. Doesn't matter to me that much.. sometimes i just cant be bothered.

Jorath Calar 04-11-2003 02:46 PM

Do it sometimes... then again English is my second languages so up you'rs... :D

Gangrell 04-11-2003 03:13 PM

I'm totally guilty, that's why half of my posts on IW are edited :D But I could really be using my bad english and instead of writing "you're" I'll write "yer" and such, but for the sake of my intelligence, no [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-11-2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]

Bungleau 04-11-2003 03:14 PM

Quote:

Apostrophes are 100% unneccesary. There isnt a single case I'm aware of when the lack of an apostrophe changes the apparent meaning. That being so, there are better things to do with ones time than getting obscure counter-intuitive grammatical rules correct.
Do the following mean the same thing?

Its time...

It's time...

One apostrophe, one world of difference.

For reference, I had an English teacher back in seventh grade who had a few hard and fast rules. One was that if you ever mis-spell the word "its" (or "it's"), you got an automatic F on that paper. Didn't matter what it was; one switch, and you failed.

I enjoy defending the English language, for all its trials and tribulations. For fun, try punctuating the following:

Ann while Bob had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

When punctuated properly, it is correct and easily understandable. And it can be done.

Gangrell 04-11-2003 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bungleau:
</font><blockquote>Quote:</font><hr />

Do the following mean the same thing?

Its time...

It's time...

One apostrophe, one world of difference.

For reference, I had an English teacher back in seventh grade who had a few hard and fast rules. One was that if you ever mis-spell the word "its" (or "it's"), you got an automatic F on that paper. Didn't matter what it was; one switch, and you failed.

I enjoy defending the English language, for all its trials and tribulations. For fun, try punctuating the following:

Ann while Bob had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

When punctuated properly, it is correct and easily understandable. And it can be done.
</font>[/QUOTE]Yikes, that's a bit harsh Bungleau and that's for a 7th grade teacher? Glad my teachers aren't that inforcive [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]