Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dragon Age™ Origins (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   help dealing with revenants (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101567)

toot033 07-22-2010 08:42 PM

help dealing with revenants

I'm trying to get the Juggernaut armor and keep getting my butt handed to me by the revenants. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to deal with them? To me when they are alone ( from the vials) I can take them, but when the get some playmates they just mop me across the floor.
Any and all help is appreciated!

Kyrvias 07-23-2010 12:17 AM

Re: help dealing with revenants

Revenants can eb tricky- you need to watch how much aggro your casters generate, because that undead has a tendency to target them, use their pull ability, then take them out.

Using obstacles helps immeasurably- interposing a column, or bookshelf, or gravestone between casters and the revenant is preferable.

Generally, take out the minions first, I'm assuming skeletal archers and swordsmen in this case. They drop faster and, if you can keep your tank(s) healed, they can last long enough to then fight the revenant directly.

Long and short: The revenant is vulnerable (and able to be taken down) alone, but with minions, you just won't be able to keep up with the damage they're putting out without losing characters.

Gabrielles blades 07-23-2010 02:09 AM

force field or hex with misses the revenant, mop up the minions.

Greything 07-23-2010 06:57 AM

I agree with all of the above.

The only things I would add are that a well positioned mage can use cone of cold to freeze both the revenant and some of its minions. And while the revenant is frozen, a rogue with the right talents can get in a lot of critical hits.

CerebroDragon 07-24-2010 05:31 AM

Further to all of this...check out my method for taking down Ser Cauthrien and use it...(i.e when in doubt, kite!)

Kyrvias 07-24-2010 09:40 PM

<font color = mediumspringgreen> Ah, kiting. I find it a bit cheezy myself, given most people with a little bit of common sense would stop chasing the rogue once the mage starts throwing spells. </font>

SpiritWarrior 07-25-2010 11:38 AM

I tend to agree, it feels a bit cheat-ish when you have to kite something. But then, I think it is now an accepted strategy :-/

CerebroDragon 08-04-2010 12:26 AM

Notice I said when in doubt ;) (meaning, when all else fails...)

If the AI is prone to falling foul to a strategy, why not use it I say. The game doesn't really have as much tactical depth as the infinity engine games anyway to really warrant any "deep" methods of play.

I may try winning that Ser Cauthrien fight by more "honourable" means this time with my rogue playthrough. :P