Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Alot of bitching about NWN 1 and the patching system (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101594)

Winterfell 08-06-2010 01:37 AM

Alot of bitching about NWN 1 and the patching system

I recently went back to neverwinter nights 1. and I spent about a week playing the first chapter to figure out how it worked. I then got the hang of it and starteds playing for real. Along the way however, I discovered CEP and the cool new content that requires v1.69. I couldn't wait for this awesome stuff so I immediately updated to 1.69 and "Kaboom" all of my savegames are gone.............................................. .................. Is there a method for retrieving these lost save files? does any one know?

But I mean is that seriously an acceptable bug? I have just spent two days getting back to the same place I was before. It appears to me that the game has become alot more elitist than when I first played it seven years ago. If you search online CEP content is entirely without explanation and only useful to people who know what to do with it... And it took me three hours to find an installation tutorial... Honestly, I'm happy sounding like an idiot if it makes the process easier for the next "idiot" who decides he'd like to play the game. I know I've come into the picture alot later than most people but I personally think the customer support is atrocious and I think the fact that the majority of people already know all the technical details just serves to alianate any potential newcomers to the game (myself included).

Winterfell 08-06-2010 02:04 AM

Re: Alot of bitching about NWN 1 and the patching system

Sorry if this sounds cranky btw, but I reckon I have a legitimate reason to be out of sorts... ( around 40 hours of gametime...)

Ziroc 08-06-2010 09:05 PM

Hmm don't recall 1.69 breaking the saved games... If they did though, Bioware would have maybe made a utility to convert the saved games to the new format--again, maybe.. Check their utility area.

Anyone else know about 1.69 breaking??

(BTW, you should play Ironworks "Escape from Undermountain" Mod I made! It's been online since 2002! --wow, thats a long time!) it's huge, and I made my own 3D models, monsters and tiles for it too. Needs a hakpak I made and CEP, and thats all ya need.

Winterfell 08-11-2010 04:57 PM

I think I've seen that actually, while browsing through all the CEP content.
I'm just about to finish Chapter 3 OC, then the two expansions, and then I'll get to playing all the CEP stuff I'm well looking forward to it but I hate cutting corners lol.

Now I'm so far in I've calmed down and warmed up to it a little, great game!

SpiritWarrior 08-12-2010 12:14 AM

The official patches wouldn't break your saves. If anything, stuff like the CEP content might, or other custom stuff. I am sure the saves are there in a folder somewhere though. You could always revert back and reinstall.

Mozenwrathe 08-14-2010 07:53 PM

Never had that happen to me. You may want to ask on the Bioware forums about that. In terms of the copy of NeverWinter Nights 1 that you installed, what version was it initially? I mean, before you uploaded the upgrade to 1.69? That may have something to do with what managed to "break" your save games and make them irretrievable. Something else to consider would be to reinstall NeverWinter Nights in a different directory, copy the save games to the "non-upgraded" version, and see if they will still play properly.