Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Found my old BGII disks (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102170)

Cerek 12-14-2011 10:57 PM

Found my old BGII disks

<font color=plum>I came across my old BGII disks this past weekend and decided to install it on my PC again. That was fun, but then I thought about loading it onto the laptop as well so I can set up some LAN games for me and the boys. Only problem is I haven't played the game in years, so I have a couple of questions.

First, I need to do the full install on both computers so I don't have to keep switching disks back and forth. Then I need to set up the LAN network. Will I need a second copy of BGII for that, or can I use the same copy on both machines?

I also need a refresher on how to either install or copy the game disks to the harddrive so I don't have to use the disks each time. Any information on this would be great. Thanks.</font>

ElfBane 12-15-2011 04:35 AM

Re: Found my old BGII disks

I'm pretty certain you can use the same copy on several PC's. IIRC there was no online MP, just LAN play.

The copy protection used was of the "have the disk in the drive" type. With BG2 this was easily avoided with virtual drives. Use a utility like Daemon Tools Lite (this is the free version). DTL will create the game disk image, and then mount it when needed to play.
the link-- http://download.cnet.com/DAEMON-Tool...-10778842.html

ElfBane 12-15-2011 07:17 AM

More info...

Running BG2 plain-- disk2 is the game disk.
Running ToB-- ToB disk is the game disk.

If you mod the game, ALL users on the LAN need the same mods.

Cerek 12-16-2011 06:48 AM

<font color=plum>Thanks <font color=yellow>Elfbane</font>. Do I copy the disk images into the BG2 folder on the harddrive? Or will DTL automatically put them where they need to be?</font>

ElfBane 12-16-2011 07:38 AM

For me on my W7 machine, DTL defaults to Libraries\Documents. But I imagine you can put the images wherever you want.

Shadow Stranger 12-16-2011 06:43 PM

There are enough virtual CDs, my favorite is:
Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel 2.0.11
Recently there have been all sorts of interesting mods for BG2, check out Spellhold Studios, Pocket Plane Group, Gibberlings Three...

Cerek 12-17-2011 06:50 PM

<font color=plum>Ok, I've downloaded both virtual CD programs, but when I try to find them to copy the BG2 disks, I can't locate them. So how do I find the program to access it and copy the disks?</font>

Shadow Stranger 12-17-2011 07:53 PM

In the case of VirtualCD you are looking for an install program called: winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe
If, you are using Windows XP, it could be in the Downloads folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\(Your log-on name)\My Documents\Downloads
If not, search the computer. If you find it, click on it to install.
Sometimes I have trouble getting it to work. I may need to remove any existing ISO images from a folder where I am trying to create a new ISO image. But it has always worked in the end.

ElfBane 12-18-2011 11:31 AM

You can always DL it again. I have the habit of DLing utilities to the desktop...that way I can easily find it (usually!).

Cerek 12-18-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Stranger (Post 1247919)
In the case of VirtualCD you are looking for an install program called: winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe
If, you are using Windows XP, it could be in the Downloads folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\(Your log-on name)\My Documents\Downloads
If not, search the computer. If you find it, click on it to install.
Sometimes I have trouble getting it to work. I may need to remove any existing ISO images from a folder where I am trying to create a new ISO image. But it has always worked in the end.

<font color=plum>That isn't working. I located the file, but when I click on it, the computer just "unzips" the files to LOCAL/Temp, but then I can't find the location of that folder (it isn't in my folder where it should be.

As for the other, every time I try to download it, I get a warning message from my AVG software.</font>