Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Virus alert (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72413)

*\Conan/* 11-28-2001 08:36 AM

I just received word of another self attaching e-mail type virus. Becareful everyone! Watch those attachments! Scan, scan, scan! Verify ANY incoming attachments.
Pics
images
New_Napter_Site
news-doc
Hamster
You_are_Fat
stuff
SETUP
Card
Me_nude
Sorry_about_yesterday
info
docs
Humor
fun
PICS
IMAGES
README
NEWS_DOC
S3MSONG
HUMOR
FUN
</p> Just some of these bad boys.

Melusine 11-28-2001 08:45 AM

Yah, I already got one of those...
I didn't even know the sender, and any attachment I didn't expect I will delete immediately, so I think I'm safe. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Can't believe there are people who think it's funny to make these viruses though... [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

Ziroc 11-28-2001 08:45 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by *\Conan/*:
I just received word of another self attaching e-mail type virus. Becareful everyone! Watch those attachments! Scan, scan, scan! Verify ANY incoming attachments.<hr></blockquote>

Oh yeh.. I've been getting about 50-80 emails with virii attached from people that are infected. I don't open them of course, and run the latest scanning software.. but the following should NEVER be opened--even if it LOOKS like it's from a friend, SCAN before you open it:

*.PIF *.EXE *.COM *.SCR *.VBS *.any word doc--macro virii can be in it. and a few others-- in other words, scan like he said! :D

Sir Byronas 11-28-2001 09:29 AM

Thanks Conan. I just recieved an e-mail wich was a virus and I fortunately scan it.

Epona 11-28-2001 10:01 AM

I got 2 of these to my hotmail account - they go straight in the bin. Don't even open the message to read it, the attachment opens itself (according to my mum who spent last night trying to get it off her PC)

adam warlock 11-28-2001 10:21 AM

just got one this morning
*grumbles* *shoots computer*

Sir Kenyth 11-28-2001 11:31 AM

Here's quick protection from scripted email attachments.

#1. Don't use MS Outlook or mail programs that support VBS scripting. Most malicious attahments are VBS script. Straight text email is safe except for executable attachments.

#2. If you must use outlook or similar programs, remove VBS scripting in your windows installed options under "Add/Remove programs". This works with win95-98. I'm not sure about more recent windows programs. Be careful if you use MS office or programs that use VBS. Office needs VBS scripting to have some of it's neater functions work properly.

Note: VBS is "Visual Basic Script"

Redblueflare 11-28-2001 01:41 PM

*Sigh* sometimes I wish all the virus writers would suddenly drop dead. My computer got hit hard recently, and we had to format the C: drive. We've got it running again, but there are still a few things that have to be installed. So it'll be out of commision for a few more days. Anyone know of a place where I can get a better virus scan?

WOLFGIR 11-28-2001 01:47 PM

Well you can also, for this latest scurge, avoid everything with double endings like blabla.src.src
End espacially files ending with .pif and .src
If you have a firewall you are pretty safe and the latest update from this monday and later will have the protection you need.

All the major places have the desciption on how to rid your system from the latest one, fairly easy. Checkl www.antivirus.com or Symantech for info.

OBS! Panda and titanium antivirus are free for use, so use it!!!

Campino 11-28-2001 01:53 PM

I never had any problems with viruses,until recently.I got hit not that hard,but it was very annoying.All my desktop shortcuts all over my desktop,not being able to double-click one.

I was one of those people who thought,it would't happen to me.So if someone is thinking like i did,let me tell you,it CAN hit us all.Make sure you're protected,so you won't get your first virus.I'm using Norton now,and i'm very pleased with it.