Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bard help (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5970)

Sorcerer Alex 02-12-2002 09:19 AM

I'm creating a new bard, and need a little help with a couple of things.

1) I can't decide on a suitable name. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

2) Ability points. I've been rolling quite a while now and the highest I've got is 94 - which isn't that great. What roll should I aim for and how should I distribute the points?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

cemius 02-12-2002 10:22 AM

1) I've not been very good with names myself, but the name Arledrian does't sound that bad.

2)As for your ability points 94 does't sound that bad. Here is how I would distribute.

str. 18
dex. 17
con. 16
int. 16
wis. 9
chr. 18

If my math is right that should be your 94. Int. might be low but you can allways down a few potions of genius to raise it up to scribe new spells. Wis. is also low but you don't really need that high except for the Wish and Limited Wish spells. Hope that helps.

Nifft the Nimble 02-12-2002 04:52 PM

Hi Arledrian!

Yay, Bards rock!

What kind of music / instruments do you like? Plenty would make good names: Lute, Banjo, Cleft, Harp, Glockenschpiel, Triangle, Sax. There are plenty of musicians who've got fun names, too: Axle, Elvis, Yo-Yo, Glass, Sting, Miles, Krall.

Abilities: 94
Here's how I'd distribute:
Str: 15
Dex: 18
Con: 16
Int: 18
Wis: 11
Cha: 16

You could lower the strength, too, but I wouldn't go below 12.
Playing a Half-Elf may raise your average score, too.

-- Nifft

fable 02-12-2002 05:07 PM

Cemius has offered a very good spread of 94 points, IMO. As to a name: consider the character's personality, then try fitting together two words in English that seem to convey that for you. It's a simple but very effective method of arriving at a good name. For example, I could see an Elven ranger, grey of spirit, known as Wandriver: Wand + River, and Wan + Driver. Easy to do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Helspanth 02-12-2002 05:55 PM

You could also paraphrase some artist names such as Rembram or Rodenis.
As for the stats my proposition would be:
STR 12
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 14
CHA 16
I feel that a bard with a 18 str isn't that realistic.Just my thoughts though...

Sorcerer Alex 02-12-2002 06:43 PM

Thank you, my friends - I've managed to create a great character with your help [img]smile.gif[/img]

Nifft the Nimble 02-13-2002 01:08 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Arledrian:
I've managed to create a great character with your help [img]smile.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Details, details, we want details! ;)

-- Nifft

Sorcerer Alex 02-13-2002 01:18 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nifft the Nimble:

Details, details, we want details! ;)

-- Nifft
<hr></blockquote>

Well, I rolled a 95 a few minutes later, and so gave my character the following attributes:

STR 15
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 10
CHA 18

I decided on the name Arlen Darkwalk [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dreamer128 02-13-2002 01:47 PM

Looks good, though I would have put a little less in strenght since there are plenty of str. enhancing items around.