Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   bashing doors/locked chests (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13289)

Dr. Harius 07-03-2003 05:13 AM

I never seem to be able to do this...Can someone tell me how BG figures you to bash open doors? Minsc with 18/93 (or so) has a fair chance according to the strength chart, but never seems to be successfull...even after ten attempts.

Dace De'Briago 07-03-2003 05:25 AM

If you don't succeed in the first 3 attempts, you wont succeed at all.

Some chests have a minimum strength requirement to successfully 'break' into. This is often more than 19, so its unsuprising that Minsc can't break in with his 18/** strength.

When you have artifacts that increase strength, it becomes less of a problem. However, some chests will NEVER be opened unless you have a thief to pick the locks.

So there :D

slicer15 07-03-2003 05:34 PM

Yeah, I personally don't bother...I mean, if you have a thief...?

Oh, and Welcome To Ironworks!!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

andrewas 07-03-2003 06:29 PM

The only 100% certain way to open a lock is the mage spell 'Knock', but even that wont get every single lock. Some are unopenable, others will not open without the key. But Knock will get all the standard ones.

Dadams1 07-03-2003 09:13 PM

How come if you shoot a fireball at a chest it doesn't incinerate it and everything around it?

IronDragon 07-03-2003 10:11 PM

Quote:

How come if you shoot a fireball at a chest it doesn't incinerate it and everything around it?
Or if you bash a chest long enough with a mace why doesn’t it eventually just fall apart. The lock might still be locked but if the rest of chest is toast.

Dadams1 07-03-2003 10:13 PM

Unless, of course, it's a magic lock... But I don't see why you couldn't do that to a normal chest.

Zuvio 07-04-2003 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by IronDragon:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> How come if you shoot a fireball at a chest it doesn't incinerate it and everything around it?
Or if you bash a chest long enough with a mace why doesn’t it eventually just fall apart. The lock might still be locked but if the rest of chest is toast. </font>[/QUOTE]Then you could also think: why store anything in chests in the first place? Answer: Cause people don't expect insane adventurers to come into their houses and rob them of their prized possessions ;)

Armen 07-04-2003 03:39 AM

Quote:

Or if you bash a chest long enough with a mace why doesn’t it eventually just fall apart. The lock might still be locked but if the rest of chest is toast. [/QB]
don't even start me on dressing tables and bedside cabinets . . . ;)

Xen 07-04-2003 04:14 AM

How many STR do you need to bash/pick locks anyways?

And you couod open it with MM you know,just like in NWN.

Welcome to IWF Dr.Harius [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]