Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   The Taliban (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78587)

Son of Osiris 04-15-2003 08:08 AM

What do you think of the Taliban?

Legolas 04-15-2003 08:12 AM

I'm missing a few options here, and suspect the possible answers are set up to influence the people towards specific choices (aren't they always ;) )
In any case, I'd have liked to see an option to vote for 'this should really go to the war forum at the bottom of the forums list'...

LordKathen 04-15-2003 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Legolas:
I'm missing a few options here, and suspect the possible answers are set up to influence the people towards specific choices (aren't they always ;) )
In any case, I'd have liked to see an option to vote for 'this should really go to the war forum at the bottom of the forums list'...

<font color=ff6600> I agree. </font>

Indemaijinj 04-15-2003 09:04 AM

They are weak in the same sense that the nazis were weak and bound for defeat.

Not because of their lack of fighting prowess or anything in that vein, but a far more fundamental thing. They are weak because their motivations and ideology is built almost solely on hatred,vain pride and opposition against a common foe.

Their ideology might be strong in war, but it is not strong in peace.

This is the same reason that I despise the organisation known as Al Quaeda and it's wretched "holy war". The idea of forming an islamic state built on a common vision of justice and goodness has it's merits. And so hase idea of a strong civilised middle east free from western coercion.

But is this what Al Qaeda is fighting for? Did the 11'th September attack or any other terrorist attack for that matter further the cause of Islam in any way? Hardly!

I, sadly, believe that the same motivations is gaining more and more credibility in the west too. USA was shown as not being as "untouchable" as it believed and now it seems hellbent on achieving this elusive "invulnerability" sacking international treaties, insulting allies and neclecting the struggle for international peace even when this is in it's own interest.

Is the media rejoicing the fall of a despotic regime? No! It repeats it's endless chant: "Where is Saddam, where is Saddam, where is Bin Laden"? It sometimes seems that administering vengeance to these person is the prime objecive.

The countries of the EU is also hastily hopping on the bandwagon lamenting their own loss of "ideological centre of the world" status louder and louder. Many are talking about creating a european army. The main justification of this (expensive) action seems to be returning Europe to it's former political glory.

Son of Osiris 04-15-2003 09:03 PM

Whoopsie!

Son of Osiris 04-15-2003 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
They are weak in the same sense that the nazis were weak and bound for defeat.

Not because of their lack of fighting prowess or anything in that vein, but a far more fundamental thing. They are weak because their motivations and ideology is built almost solely on hatred,vain pride and opposition against a common foe.

Their ideology might be strong in war, but it is not strong in peace.

This is the same reason that I despise the organisation known as Al Quaeda and it's wretched "holy war". The idea of forming an islamic state built on a common vision of justice and goodness has it's merits. And so hase idea of a strong civilised middle east free from western coercion.

But is this what Al Qaeda is fighting for? Did the 11'th September attack or any other terrorist attack for that matter further the cause of Islam in any way? Hardly!

I, sadly, believe that the same motivations is gaining more and more credibility in the west too. USA was shown as not being as "untouchable" as it believed and now it seems hellbent on achieving this elusive "invulnerability" sacking international treaties, insulting allies and neclecting the struggle for international peace even when this is in it's own interest.

Is the media rejoicing the fall of a despotic regime? No! It repeats it's endless chant: "Where is Saddam, where is Saddam, where is Bin Laden"? It sometimes seems that administering vengeance to these person is the prime objecive.

The countries of the EU is also hastily hopping on the bandwagon lamenting their own loss of "ideological centre of the world" status louder and louder. Many are talking about creating a european army. The main justification of this (expensive) action seems to be returning Europe to it's former political glory.

What? Sorry, I read your article while smoking some Atomic Jamaca Pot. [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img]

[ 04-15-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: The Whackmiester ]