Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airport (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97947)

Papa Schlumpf 10-01-2007 01:04 AM

[Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airport

Woman arrested at airport, accidentally strangles self on handcuffs

NEW YORK - A traveler who may have accidentally choked herself to death while handcuffed in an airport holding cell was a "wonderful" woman and mother, according to New York City's public advocate, who is her relative. ADVERTISEMENT

Carol Anne Gotbaum, 45, was arrested Friday at Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix after she became irate when gate crews refused to let her board a flight for which she was late, officials said.

"She was a wonderful mother; she was sweet and kind and loving," said public advocate Betsy Gotbaum, the woman's stepmother-in-law. "It's obviously very, very difficult for us; we are dealing with it as best we can. My No. 1 focus is those children and my stepson."

She also pleaded with the press for privacy.

The events that led to Gotbaum's death began when she became irate over not being allowed on a US Airways flight, though she was rebooked on a later flight, officials said.

Officers handcuffed her and took her to the holding room, where she kept screaming, authorities said. They checked on her when she became quiet and found her unresponsive, said Phoenix police Sgt. Andy Hill.

It appears Gotbaum may have tried to get out of her handcuffs, which ended up around her neck, Hill said. A medical examiner will determine the cause of death.

Neither a stun gun nor pepper spray was used on the woman, authorities said.

The New York City public advocate helps solve residents' problems with government and acts as a watchdog over city agencies.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070930/...r6Y1VNhkwXIr0F

I know, being respectful to the dead and all that, but accidently choking yourself on handcuffs? That's quite a feat...

Winter Wolf 10-01-2007 03:45 AM

Re: [Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airpor

She must have been extremely flexible to get her arms up around her head from behind her back, since that's the ONLY conceivable way I can think of that she'd even get her handcuffs anywhere near her neck.

Talk about doing things the hard way.

wellard 10-01-2007 04:40 AM

Re: [Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airpor

I suspect foul play, I was always under the impression it is impossible to strangle your self.

andrewas 10-01-2007 04:58 AM

Its impossible because you will relax when you lose consciousness, so you cant deny yourself air for long enough to die - also, most people don't have the willpower to go even that far. On the other hand, its very possible to strangle yourself by wrapping something around your neck. I don't see quite how you accomplish it with a pair of handcuffs, but people are inventive.

Kakero 10-01-2007 06:41 AM

I can't imagine how someone can strangle him/herself with a handcuff.

Arvon 10-01-2007 07:07 AM

Snopes where are you when we need you?

Luvian 10-01-2007 02:58 PM

Well the only way it could even be possible is if it's the kind of handcuff with a long chain you see in prisons. There's no way at all it could happen with short police handcuff. I guess she would have to somehow have it get tangled around her neck and then she'd pull to try and get free but it would tighten it.

I don't think someone strangling her is any more likely. Who would strangle someone in a security room? The list of persons that could have access to it at that time is probably not very long.

Kyrvias 10-01-2007 08:43 PM

Strangling yourself with handcuffs? The best Darwin deaths are those you never, in 1000 years, saw coming...

Illumina Drathiran'ar 10-02-2007 01:32 AM

Am I the only one who is for some reason disturbed by this?

wellard 10-02-2007 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar (Post 1190931)
Am I the only one who is for some reason disturbed by this?

I am disturbed by it because there is no real mention of foul play. I remember years ago a young black boy strangling himself to death in the back of a police van with police officers present but not noticing.