Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I am getting SOOO mad at my comp!!!! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84021)

Link 02-02-2003 12:16 PM

This is not normal anymore (well, to be honest, it has never BEEN normal).. My computer has the most annoying glitch/bug/whatever which causes it to restart spontaneously at any given moment. When I'm watching a movie on my computer. When I'm playing a game. When I've played a game, and going back to Windows. Heck, even when I'm just typing this, I'm not quite sure how long it will last until it goes wacko again.
Problem is though, that I haven't got the faintest clue what is going on. I have addressed this problem before on IW, but then the drivers were mentioned as the probable source of the problem, but as my computer restarts in any given program (be it Word, BGII, Warcraft 3, doesn't matter) I don't think that's it. Overheating could be it, but my computer now reaches a maximum of 60 degrees Celcius, and I personally don't think that's very high.
I have Windows XP installed so maybe that's the problem, but I really don't know anymore, and I'm out of ideas of what to do. In desperate need of help, I ask you guys, who probably know a lot more of computers than I do, to give me a hand (or more perhaps). Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Link

P.S. Further info on my comp: it's a AMD Athlon 1500+, 256 MB Ram internal memory, 80 Gig Hard drive, Geforce 2 MX video card. That's about it, I guess.

Kaltia 02-02-2003 12:19 PM

I have the same problem, on top of my entire system freezing for no reason. I use windows 2k.

NiceWorg 02-02-2003 12:25 PM

60C maybe enough for motherboard to behave weirdly. But I still think thats not the reason.

Link 02-02-2003 12:25 PM

And you don't know what's wrong either, do you Kaltia? It's really making me pissed off, because it usually wrecks my save games and worse (imagine doing NWN almost entirely over again, because your save game became corrupt.. AARGH!! [img]graemlins/scream.gif[/img] )

Kaltia 02-02-2003 12:28 PM

With me, I completely lost BG2, cut off several downlaods, lost most of my saved files and cwk, and have to duck out of conversations for no reason because it's either rebooted or frozen and had to be rebooted. Yipee, JOY.

Link 02-02-2003 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaltia:
With me, I completely lost BG2, cut off several downlaods, lost most of my saved files and cwk, and have to duck out of conversations for no reason because it's either rebooted or frozen and had to be rebooted. Yipee, JOY.
Grumble.. Sounds horribly familiar.. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

Kaltia 02-02-2003 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Link:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kaltia:

Grumble.. Sounds horribly familiar.. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]it'd be too easy to turn this into an "I hate Microsoft" thread ;)

I've tried replacing both additional memory sticks. Someone else suggested I try a new power supply, does anyone know if this is a good idea?

For the record I' do a complete Norton anti-virus scan once a month.

StigTC 02-02-2003 12:55 PM

I almost didn't post this when you talked about turning this into an I hate Microsoft thread.

But what the hell, Microsoft isn't the problem, I'm affraid it's motherboard issues. My friend had the same problems, switched motherboard, no more problems.

Link 02-02-2003 01:00 PM

Well.. I think there never was any intent of changing this thread into an "I hate Microsoft" thing. It certainly wasn't my intention anyway. But switching mother boards should help, you say? Are you certain about that?

StigTC 02-02-2003 01:08 PM

Well if it has always been acting like this then I would say yes. Especially if it's still within the warranty.

If not, then you might want to consult someone with better technological knowledge than me.