Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   mind flayers (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6450)

warmachine 03-03-2002 09:12 PM

i cant find out how to do away with mind flayers. Anybody got any tips?

Mourn Yauntyyr 03-03-2002 09:40 PM

Chaotic commands on each and every party member. Also, if a party member gets a little red tongue icon on his portrait, pull them out of melee combat immediately and have them start using ranged weapons - the next hit on them will be fatal.

koconnor100 03-03-2002 09:58 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by warmachine:
i cant find out how to do away with mind flayers. Anybody got any tips?<hr></blockquote>

THE VOICE OF EXPERIANCE

Invisable stalkers rule.
Valygar stealthing ahead, my mages conjring up an army of stalkers, the stalkers just kick mind flayer b*** !, and Valygar jsut sites so I can direct them , he doesn't attack.

Cleansed entire mind flayer city in under dark this way.

oh , any theif can take on valygar's role if they can stealth , that's all that he did.

warmachine 03-04-2002 02:22 PM

great, thanks for the info.

J'aran 03-04-2002 02:30 PM

Skeleton Warriors are also very good. You can summon them with Raise Undead (or Summon Undead, don't quite remember what the spell is called) from a Cleric or Mage of 15th level or above. Just follow koconnor100's strategy, but alternating or mixing the Invisible Stalkers with Skeleton Warriors will ensure that you won't run out of summons.

Nifft the Nimble 03-04-2002 02:36 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by J'aran:
Skeleton Warriors are also very good. You can summon them with Raise Undead (or Summon Undead, don't quite remember what the spell is called) <hr></blockquote>

Animate Dead is the name of the spell.

Anyway, Skeletal Warriors and Invisible Stalkers are great, but will be killed by Umber Hulks if you're not careful. So have a mage cast Death Spell into a cluster of attacking Mind Flayers to auto-kill their Umber Hulks.

-- Nifft

Faceman 03-04-2002 02:40 PM

Greenstone Amulet and Boots of Speed.
Well this is a cheesy tactic, but it's the easiest.
Conjure up a Mordenkaine's sword and kill it.
It will leave a Greenstone amulet that equips you with many immunities including immunity to psionic attacks. This buggy amulet cannot be removed IIRC and will fizzle if you use its abilities from the item abilities menu.
With this amulet and the ranged weapon of your choice just step into the room and keep running in circles shooting the Flayers. Never engage in Melee!

Another - not SO cheesy tactic: Use the character with the best saving throws (or equipped with anti-psionic items) to lure the flayers out of their room one by one and await them with loaded guns (i.e. The whole party firing their ranged weapons at them) Their psionic blast will stun one or two party members, but the Flayer will most likely be dead before he can kill them.

Kezardin 03-04-2002 02:42 PM

Warmachine,

you can also counter any flayer intelligence drain on your characters by drinking potions of mind focusing.

Kez

warmachine 03-04-2002 03:22 PM

thanks for all the info, but i cannot cast invisible stalker yet. ill try everything else.

Voltar 03-04-2002 07:34 PM

Another cheesy tactic is to have a thief lay a heap of traps and get them to follow you to them....works every time