Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What punishment should she get? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83942)

Donut 01-30-2003 09:45 AM

A woman in England was found guilty of murdering her two children. In 1996 she smothered her 11 week old baby and in 1998 she killed her 8 week old baby. The court heard that the chances of a second cot death in the family was 73 million to 1. She got life but that probably only means 14 years.

johnny 01-30-2003 09:57 AM

Lock her up in a cell, covered with painted faces of her murdered kids. Gives her something to think about the next 14 years.

Timber Loftis 01-30-2003 09:58 AM

ONLY IF THERE IS NO DOUBT OF GUILT:

death by public execution.
Sorry - this person gave up their right to life. IMO, almost no right is inalienable, and one way you lose a right, especially one so final as the right to life, is by taking it from another.

khazadman 01-30-2003 10:06 AM

Smother HER with a pillow.

WOLFGIR 01-30-2003 10:08 AM

Give her compassion and make her understand what she has done..

If she done it I forgo to add..

[ 01-30-2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: WOLFGIR ]

Grojlach 01-30-2003 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Donut:
The court heard that the chances of a second cot death in the family was 73 million to 1.
But surely they had more evidence than just a statistic?

Donut 01-30-2003 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
ONLY IF THERE IS NO DOUBT OF GUILT:

death by public execution.
Sorry - this person gave up their right to life. IMO, almost no right is inalienable, and one way you lose a right, especially one so final as the right to life, is by taking it from another.

Well nobody saw her do it and she claimed it was two cot deaths so I suppose there has to be some doubt.

Barry the Sprout 01-30-2003 10:31 AM

I think a mother killing two of her children in such a cold manner has to have something wrong with them personally. I for one wouldn't mind finding out what it is and trying to get the best out of the situation. I don't think deterrance is much of an issue here - after all, how much does this happen? And I think people are already generally of the opinion that its a bad thing without the courts telling them so...

The main thing for me is getting best out of the situation. Ok, so I have a very utilitarian view of justice. One of my fellow Political philosiphy students says that makes me "morally bankrupt". I think it just makes me sensible. But then again, I would wouldn't I.

Horatio 01-30-2003 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Donut:
A woman in England was found guilty of murdering her two children. In 1996 she smothered her 11 week old baby and in 1998 she killed her 8 week old baby. The court heard that the chances of a second cot death in the family was 73 million to 1. She got life but that probably only means 14 years.
Would this be the case of the mother who was jailed and appealed, by any chance? She got life, but was freed a few days ago only serving 3 years. The appeal court heard new evidence that stated that one of the babies probably died from a severe infection.

Timber Loftis 01-30-2003 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:

The main thing for me is getting best out of the situation. Ok, so I have a very utilitarian view of justice. One of my fellow Political philosiphy students says that makes me "morally bankrupt". I think it just makes me sensible.

But, you've not answered the question, Barry. HOW would you get the best out of the situation? What would the utilitarian DO? I'm pretty utilitarian too, and I see my answer as a quick and efficient and just solution for society. But, I'm *positive* we differ on what should be done.