Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   BG2 Spell Reference Updated - Again! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10088)

Alson 10-20-2002 12:20 PM

Another update! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Naturally, not as massive as the last one.

</font>
  • Mentioned Energy Blades getting the cheesy off-hand attack after all.</font>
  • Mentioned (Improved) Haste doubling regeneration rates.</font>
  • Mentioned equal regeneration rates stacking.</font>
  • Revisited judgment on Harm.</font>
  • Mentioned Time Stop's paralysis making attacks automatically successful.</font>
  • Corrected and expanded the stacking of (Improved) Chaos Shields in triggers.</font>
  • Added missing creature filenames and HD ratings.</font>
  • Crushed another typo. My quest for perfection continues!</font>
  • Mentioned Immunity to Conjuration protecting against those nasty insect spells.</font>
  • Mentioned Mirror Image and Project Image being especially vulnerable to dispel.</font>
  • Mentioned Spell Shield protecting against beholder anti-magic rays.</font>
  • Various minor corrections and rewordings.</font>
Plus, it's moved. Here. Should load much faster now.
Any feedback is welcomed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

DJG 10-20-2002 12:42 PM

Yet again, I salute you Alson! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Well done!

Alson 10-20-2002 12:51 PM

Thanks, DJG!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Any other feedback? Suggestions? Additions?

Alson 10-20-2002 04:21 PM

Anybody?

LennonCook 10-21-2002 02:20 AM

<font color="lightblue">I still think you should use the Staff of the Magi spelltrap over a memorised version; because it lasts longer, absorbs more spells, and doesn`t waste a potentially dangerous (to your opponents) spell slot, which could very well mean the difference between needing to recharge it again, and winning outright while still being able to go on to your next fight... </font>

daan 10-21-2002 05:43 AM

The SotM-spell trap doesnt absorb more spells, it simply last longer when nobody is trying to dispell it somehow. Both the regular and the SotM-spell trap can absorb 30 spell-lvls.Further on, as Alson mentioned a few times allready, the memorized spell trap can be re-memorized during the recharging ... shooting spells at the SotM-spell trap, wont recharge that spell-trap. So the SotM-spell trap only allows for the tactic to work once per rest, while the other can go on forever.

Alson 10-21-2002 11:55 AM

Thank you, Daan. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Technically, there IS a way to rechagre the Staff's Spell Trap - but the random factor of it makes it, IMO, less useful.

pook 10-23-2002 09:26 PM

I have really learned a lot from your site. Of course, being new to BG and new to AD&D at the same time, there's a lot to learn though that's not to take anything away from your stuff.

However, in trying out some of your suggestions, I find in improved haste that I simply don't know what you are saying.

"This spell has a "power" of only 3, meaning it knocks only three levels off (Minor) Spell Deflection or Turning. This may have been BioWare's intention, since you now cannot destroy a Minor Spell Turning by bouncing one of these off it."

I know you are listing it as a bug, but what it means is beyond me. Do you mean to say that if you use one after the other, then...or what?

Since you are an expert in contrast to me, I wanted to let you know that this was the only thing on your site that I have found so far, that I didn't know what you meant. (Besides, I still want to know what you mean. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Job well done mate!

pook

pook 10-23-2002 09:28 PM

Oh yes, I forgot. How do you "technically" update the SOM spell trap?

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Pook

Alson 10-24-2002 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pook:
I have really learned a lot from your site. Of course, being new to BG and new to AD&D at the same time, there's a lot to learn though that's not to take anything away from your stuff.

However, in trying out some of your suggestions, I find in improved haste that I simply don't know what you are saying.

"This spell has a "power" of only 3, meaning it knocks only three levels off (Minor) Spell Deflection or Turning. This may have been BioWare's intention, since you now cannot destroy a Minor Spell Turning by bouncing one of these off it."

I know you are listing it as a bug, but what it means is beyond me. Do you mean to say that if you use one after the other, then...or what?

"Power" means the level the spell is considered by the Game Engine.
Almost all of the spells are correctly implemented - their "Power" is indeed equal to their level.
In some cases, like Improved Haste (which is a level 6 spell, but has a "Power" level of 3) or Remove Curse (which is a level 4 spell, but has a "Power" level of 3), there was an error in implementing the spell. BioWare were too lazy, i suppose, so they just "Copy&Pasted" spells instead of creating new ones. :rolleyes:
This doesn't matter much - but, for example, when trying to soak back a level 6 spells with a Spell Trap, don't use Improved Haste - it won't work. (It WILL recharge a level 3 spell, though [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Quote:

Since you are an expert in contrast to me, I wanted to let you know that this was the only thing on your site that I have found so far, that I didn't know what you meant. (Besides, I still want to know what you mean. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Job well done mate!

Thank man, both for the compliment and the feedback! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-24-2002, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]