Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My completion of Chapter 1 (major spoilers for Chapter 1) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34129)

Nas'Greth 07-09-2002 11:04 PM

Greetings,

Today, I completed Chapter 1. I have mixed feelings, to say the least, although I must say that the Finale boasted some very impressive scripting. For instance, I nearly gasped in awe as Desther's pentagal came into view. I hope to duplicate this sort of effect in the persistant world myself and some friends are planning.

I do have some questions pertaining to the general plot, though. If anyone can answer, I ask that you please do not spoil anything from the rest of the game for me.

- In the Chapter 2 movie, it clearly shows Aribeth wielding the sword with the Eye symbol as the hilt. I then examined her portrait in-game, and noticed that this is also shown therein. Does anyone else find it odd that this Eye symbol, apparently the symbol for the "People of the Eye" is the hilt for Aribeth's sword? Would the characters in-game not ask questions? The eye insignia is (apparently) shown at the bottom of the Anonymous letters from Chapter 1.

- Is this sword the same one in the very first introduction movie, in which the fellow who looks like Aarin Gend battles a minotaur while showing flashbacks of his forging of the weapon?

- Did anyone else think that Desther's true identity was hinted at far too much? Dialogue options such as "[Insight]: Do you have something to hide, Desther?" available in the beginning of Chapter 1 did little to conceal his secrets.

- Does anyone else find it odd that Aribeth would so readily sentence Fenthick to death? It is stated on Bioware's pages that Aribeth is the one who sentenced both Fenthick and Desther, and I find this more than a little odd. I also find that these characters' strange and barbaric treament of others makes it harder for me to role-play the character I had it mind.

- Did anyone else find the final boss battle unrealistic in that it is possible to simply respawn, rest, and then resume the battle fully-healed and replenished? I did no such thing, as I wanted a challenge, but I was expecting this to be an area in which death is 'permanent'. I am playing on D&D Hardcore Rules if anyone is wondering.

Overall, I enjoyed Chapter 1, and I have heard that Chapter 2 is much better in terms of layout, setting, etc.. That said, I find the twists and turns that the plot has taken to be so questionable and disturbing that I wonder if I truly will enjoy this Chapter more. However, I have developed a strong liking for Aarin Gend, and I understand how Aribeth feels, so hopefully my role-playing will have its rewards.

I have one last question. Which henchman do you feel would be appropiate for a gentle, neutral good wizard who is quite intelligent? I greatly enjoy Boddyknock's calm and cautious attitude, and am more than a little irritated my the ridiculous responses I am limited to. I understand how Boddyknock feels and why he prepares the way he does.

Regardless, I am rambled enough. I am excited, as I'm sure you can tell. Thank you in advance for any answers to these questions, and I hope to share information on future Chapters in the future!

Reonin 07-09-2002 11:17 PM

I can't say anything about the sword, as I dont know. If I did know something, I doubt I could say anything without a major spoiler anyway.

I didn't need insight to know that dude was up to no-good. He's so obvious that even a small child could figure it out from the start.

It's not odd at all that she sentenced him to death. She is a Lawful Good paladin after all, and he was quite obviously guilty of treason, and people wanted blood. She does feel tremendous guilt over it though, which fits just fine, as he was her lover.

Respawning at any point is unrealistic, and for me something not really needed (I almost never die, my henchman does, but I only really get nailed by super-traps.)

You might like Sharwyn, I like her myself, even if she (like all henchman) is pretty much useless to a Paladin(what i'm playing) in the second chapter. Who knows, maybe in later chapters the henchman will become worth something more than an exp bonus and somebody to roleplay with (your henchman can have some good stories and comments, though not nearly as much as i'd like)

Greadius 07-09-2002 11:59 PM

Most of the questions you have will be answered in time...

However, I got the impression Aribeth didn't sentence Fenthick to death. I thought he was dragged by a lynchmob and the authorities turned a blind eye. I'd find it strange that they'd hang the guilty off a tree in the middle of town...

As far as hench-people, if you're gentle and soft spoken wizard, may I suggest the gentle and soft spoken half-orc barbarian :D
Or perhaps Tomi. Its always nice to have that good cop/bad cop thing going. Linu has a very neutral good personality if you're looking for an accomplice.

I like to view the henchpeople as sidekicks rather than counterparts, so balancing off what your character does would be much more dramatically preferable.

Warhammer 07-10-2002 04:11 AM

Nas'Greth, I agree with you completely, though some of the plot issues will be clarified later on.

The unrealism of the last combat was when he abondoned when he was "barely injured" he prolly had 150hp+ left when he did, it would have been much more realistic to have him Near Death or Badly Injured before becoming neutral. Secondly once he gives up he stays there even though he had plenty of opportunities to flee when I was resting in the next room,...

I never respawn, I try very hard not to die if I do I prefer reloading.

As far as Henchmen are concerned I play without any, give it a try. If you were to take one, the half-orc barb seems to be an obvious choice for a good mage PC.

theifprowess 07-10-2002 05:42 AM

aribeth did not want fenthick(her lover)to die. you will find out her feeling when you talk to her in chap 2.

and the truth with desther at barely injured when he stops. it a good thing. cause with all his damge reduction they average that the man has close to 1130 hp he stops at 230 hp taken off so if you were getting your but kicked before you finally got him to quit just remember he was a good 3/4 still away from dieing. besides him giving up is part of the story line if you watched the following video. wont go any further than that for spoiler reasons.

but yes they made sure that desther was no where near death when he surrenders for a reason.

Warhammer 07-10-2002 06:16 AM

theifprowess, yes I understand that he surrenders when he has about 1000hp left for storyline and maybe balance issues, but I was criticizing it from a "realism" point of view,...

I've never heard of anyone surrendering when he had the upperhand or at least was far from losing.

AndyG 07-10-2002 08:39 AM

As long as we're discussing plot, what about Fenthick? Is he part of the cult, or was he Desther's dupe? I'm really not clear on the whole issue. He seems like a good guy, who's desire to do good was taken advantage of. However, pursuing the conversations in chapter 2, it is implied that he was actually part of the cult.

Kakero 07-10-2002 08:46 AM

Fenthick believe so much in Desther that he himself didn't believe that Desther was using him ( part of your conversation with him in helm hold ). but nonetheless he was hang by angry mob. which in turn make Aribeth turn to the dark side.

Nas'Greth 07-10-2002 11:17 AM

I'm afraid that Aribeth did, in fact, order Fenthick's execution -- at least, she decided upon his sentence. It states such on Bioware's website.

Also, is it just me or did the fellow in the first movie look more like Lord Nasher than Aarin Gend? When I examine Nasher's model in-game, it bears striking similarities.

I also find it odd that Aribeth would suddenly start using a short sword instead of a long sword...

...unless she has something to hide.

Evergreene 07-10-2002 11:17 AM

I too noticed that Aribeth had an "EYE" decorated sword during the movie. How weird is that? It is disturbing. I am not sure who forged the sword, is that muscle-guy was Aarin or not. Nas'gereth i tend to agree with you more about that having been Lord Nasher (sp?)
Yes Desthir was blatantly up-to-no-good the way he would always insult me.

I kind of saw it coming- i didnt need to reload, i had a summoned skeletal warrior ready while they did the final ceremony to make the cure.

Aribeth, as a lawful-good, has to do what is right for the society-at-large, therefore to keep order, she had to have Fenthick sentenced to death. (Not that i would have..)

[ 07-10-2002, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Evergreene ]