Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Useless poll - least effective spells (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27158)

emilyh 01-12-2001 02:27 PM

I have teleport but not create portal. It took me a while to figure out why the spell fizzeled every time I tried to use it, and I have about 100,000 xp to go before I level to get create portal. Maybe teleport shouldn't be linked to another spell. (I generally don't read spell descriptions in books unless I have trouble in the game, a lot of them are self-explanatory).

Also it seems to me flamestrike should do a lot more damage when your skill increases, but compared to incinerate, it's relatively weak at higher levels.

Serath 01-12-2001 03:06 PM

The level 7 fiend spell Blood Bath. Creates a bunch of explosions that take half of your casters hit points and damages your enemies by that number with each explosion. It does a lot of damage, but leaves your caster severely injured or sometimes dead. Don't like that at all.

Serath

skywalker 01-12-2001 03:34 PM

Blood to Gold is the most worthless spell. I think you lose HitPoints permanently for 500 gold. Who would bother?

Mark

emilyh 01-12-2001 03:58 PM

Ouch! I never tried that one. Probably a good thing too.

Lorelei 01-12-2001 06:06 PM

I find most of the spells to be useless -- I only use maybe 3 or so in any book of magic. Never even tried repel, charm, blood to gold.... why bother? Burning haze will work well through most of the game, the protective or enhancing spells are useful, and the various storm spells make Cet's pyramid a snap. Generally, though, swords get the job done quicker than anything else (exceptions being fire spells versus amazoni mantraps, dispel undead at the Ruins, and the storm spells versus the demon lords). Hack and slash is the way to go.

Dr. Bob 01-12-2001 06:17 PM

Crud! Blood to Gold permanently loses hit points?!? Sheesh, I've used it a few times! I noticed I was getting money by using it and I thought "gee, this is pretty cool". I never thought to check what it was doing to my characters' hit points. Good thing I got bored with it quickly.

skywalker 01-12-2001 06:26 PM

Everytime you cast Blood To Gold the caster permanently loses 1 hit point.

As for Blood Bath. It is probably the most devastating spell of all, it will probably kill the caster, but......

..... first cast Vine Of Life on the caster. This spell reduces damage that will kill the character instead to 1. This is the perfect combo.

1) Vine of Life
2) Blood Bath
3) Restore Health

I haven't tried it yet, though. Don't think I've needed to do that much damage - yet.

Mark

Sazerac 01-12-2001 06:52 PM

LOL Dr. Bob! That's hilarious!

>Character: "Hey, look, guys, I got Blood to Gold! Let's get some more money!"
*ZAP*
>Character: "Ow, I hate when that happens! Hey, 500 G.P.! Let's try it again."
*ZAP*
(etc.)
>Character: "Yay! Even richer! All I need is one more to get that skill I've been waiting for..."
*ZAP*
>Character: "Cool! Oh, wow, I'm feeling a little weak..." SPLAT! (Passes out)

Seriously, though...you'll get them back on your next level up. It always re-rolls your HP per level.

Sazerac.

carg 01-13-2001 05:28 AM

What about mind leech?
The only use I found of Exorcism might be to remove a minion's curse from a trapped chest, otherwise Restore Health is better.
Anyone found a use for Reveal?
How do you use Circle of Fire effectively?
Pry isn't too great either.

Lily the Ranger 01-13-2001 11:37 AM

Dr Bob . . . Ditto! Manual, I don't need no stinking manual! Ooops! Fortunately, like you I felt 50gp at a time was boring.

Sazerac . . . You really get them back? That is good to know . . . the manual neglected to mention that.

Skywalker never got bloodbath . . . never felt I needed it . . . rely mostly on fire and spirit and moon. Interesting strategy.