Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Poll: your favorite sci-fi series (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40828)

Dreamer128 03-19-2007 05:52 AM

The topic is pretty self explanatory. However, I'd also like to see motivations. Here is my top three:

1) -Firefly

Joss Whedon in space! :D The perfect mix of humor, character development and action. Damn you, Fox, for canceling this goldmine.

2) -Battlestar Galactica (the latest)

It started out a little slow, but I can appreciate how dark the series has become. The cheerful cast from the first season has turned into a group traumatized veterans that struggle to keep going. I also like the fact that each season seems to have its own theme. (Season 1: creating a new civilization from scratch. Season 2: relation between the military and the civilian government, etc)

3) -Star Trek Deep DS9

I've never seen a Star Trek series with a better storyline or cast. I really miss Star Trek nowadays. Even Enterprise became enjoyable in the last few seasons.

Honorable mention: Lexx. Which was a great series, but a little too vague for my tastes.

Target 03-19-2007 06:28 AM

What a good idea for a thread.

1) Firefly again, I just love this show, everything just seems to fit and work, a great cast, great effects and superb writing. Fox you ^($(£ )^$U” ^)U$)% !!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

2) Star Trek: TNG. I think it was 1987, I was a huge star wars fan, BSG and Buck Rogers just didn’t cut it for me, I needed some sci-fi and this came along. I believe without this show, the sci-fi we have now would be completely different. Also in Patrick they had one dam fine actor, good stories. Might not have the best effects, but we are reaping the benefits now. Also Best of Both Worlds part 1 and 2 are just amazing

3) Babylon 5. Almost lord of the rings in space, I can look past the poor acting, for the great story line, and writing. Especially those time travel episodes, what an idea, in one season drop in B4 then a few seasons later after several mentions, finish off that story. And different sort of effects. For the poor acting I’m referring to Bruce Boxleitner and Michael O'Hare, but there were many fine performances, notably Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas, (RIP Andreas)

My Honourable mentions would be ST:DS9 and the new BSG, I’ve only seen the mini-series but I did really like it.

[ 03-19-2007, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Target ]

VulcanRider 03-19-2007 08:29 AM

I'm getting hooked on The Dresden Files. Dresden is a Wizard/Private Investigator who the police call in to consult on really weird crimes.

Nightwing 03-19-2007 10:36 AM

I don't really have a favorite but I would love to see a series based on Honor Harrington.

Thoran 03-19-2007 11:14 AM

1 - Firefly
2 - Stargate:SG1
3 - Star Trek:TNG
4 - Babylon 5

Dreamer128 03-19-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Target:
Also Best of Both Worlds part 1 and 2 are just amazing

Those are probably the best two Star Trek episodes to date. I had them on VCR when I was younger and couldn't stop watching them. That was back when the Borg were still mysterious and creepy. Long before Voyager.. [img]graemlins/yawn.gif[/img]

JrKASperov 03-19-2007 06:30 PM

Firefly. I've hardly ever seen such fleshed out character that you started to care for after the first few episodes.

SpiritWarrior 03-20-2007 09:37 AM

Voyager ftw. It's the sci-fi version of Odyssey.

Mack_Attack 03-21-2007 07:56 AM

Well I have found memories of "v"

And startrek. The one with the Bald guy.

And old school Battle star Galactica. New one is rubbish. ;)

ZFR 03-21-2007 09:06 AM

Does X files qualify as sci fi?