Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A question of wisdom? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73388)

MagiK 02-07-2002 12:57 PM

Ok either this is going to be a really great thread..or it will degenerate quickly...lets see which it does. I am being serious in my reqest for information too.

These questions and premises have nothing to do with IW, IW threeads of discussion or any current on going debate and are ment to address things in the most broad and general way.

The Question of the Year is:

Why do people who are say between the ages of 12 and 19 seem to think that they are as knowledgable, understanding and wise in the following catagories as people 2, 3 or even 4 times their age and experience.

Catagories being: Religion, Life, Politics, Government and Society

I would think that the only explanation would be that people in this age bracket seem to think that all who went before them were brain dead morons who never knew or learned anything. Or that they are the first people ever to have an original idea on how things should be run.

I would also like to request information from anyone on the instances throughout history where someone in this age group actually managed to come up with some revolutionary concept or idea in these catagories that actully worked in the real world. I admit my knowledge in this area is limited in the extreme.

Sazerac 02-07-2002 01:07 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MagiK:
The Question of the Year is:

Why do people who are say between the ages of 12 and 19 seem to think that they are as knowledgable, understanding and wise in the following catagories as people 2, 3 or even 4 times their age and experience.
<hr></blockquote>

Meaning "Teens", of course? ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>
Catagories being: Religion, Life, Politics, Government and Society

I would think that the only explanation would be that people in this age bracket seem to think that all who went before them were brain dead morons who never knew or learned anything. Or that they are the first people ever to have an original idea on how things should be run.
<hr></blockquote>

MagiK, with all due respect, this does sound rather peremptory on your part. Teens are in the process of discovery of the higher mind and, when having discovered something, are eager to proclaim it to the world. There are a few who have not mastered the finer points of social expression yet (not to mention a few adults who never have either! ;) ) but as mature members, our goal should be to encourage them to express and to develop a greater sense of acceptable social communication of their ideas.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>
I would also like to request information from anyone on the instances throughout history where someone in this age group actually managed to come up with some revolutionary concept or idea in these catagories that actully worked in the real world. I admit my knowledge in this area is limited in the extreme.
<hr></blockquote>

Mozart comes to mind...well, that's in the area of the arts. The prior Dalai Lama, as well, when just a child, prescribed great social reforms for Thibet which are still held in practice by the monks there and, hopefully, will be instituted for all of Thibet when China grants them independence, if ever.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm late for class now. I'll check back in later.

-Saz

MagiK 02-07-2002 01:18 PM

Good Info at the end there Saz [img]smile.gif[/img] (Geez I wish I could figure out how to quote those multi part replies)

I understnad teens are discovering new worlds and that their brain scans are more akin to schizophrenics than to normal adults...Im just curious at the fact that they never seem to give those who have gone before any credit for having tryed and discarded a lot of things...My son for example is 11 and already he seems to think he knows more about life, the universe and everything than either his mother or myself. He doesnt seem to be a stupid kid..he gets good grades but he really seems to believe that in getting to the age of 40, that I have never thought of any of these things he is bringing up.

I just find it curious..and you know I just thought of something..maybe this isnt a teen vs adult thing...maybe its just son vs dad thing..hmmm need to look at that..........

Sazerac 02-07-2002 02:06 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MagiK:
Good Info at the end there Saz [img]smile.gif[/img] (Geez I wish I could figure out how to quote those multi part replies)

I understnad teens are discovering new worlds and that their brain scans are more akin to schizophrenics than to normal adults...Im just curious at the fact that they never seem to give those who have gone before any credit for having tryed and discarded a lot of things...My son for example is 11 and already he seems to think he knows more about life, the universe and everything than either his mother or myself. He doesnt seem to be a stupid kid..he gets good grades but he really seems to believe that in getting to the age of 40, that I have never thought of any of these things he is bringing up.

I just find it curious..and you know I just thought of something..maybe this isnt a teen vs adult thing...maybe its just son vs dad thing..hmmm need to look at that..........
<hr></blockquote>

Aha, I see where you're coming from now!

My aunt used to have a sign on her refrigerator that said: TEENS! Now is the time to MOVE OUT, GET A JOB, GET MARRIED, BECOME PRESIDENT, and SAVE THE WORLD ...

WHILE YOU STILL KNOW EVERYTHING!!

[img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] I guess it does seem like that, with teens in the house. Being childless, I haven't experienced that little phenomenon. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Blade 02-07-2002 03:04 PM

Not all of us think like that though a great person once said something like this "to be truly great you must know what you don't know" i can truthfully say i don't know many things. The reason why though IMHO they think that is that its new to them and they dont' realize people have thought of it before so they believe that they know more than others, it's just self delusion something i try not to do my self. Sadly though i see many people my own age who don't even realize that they are doing it.

MagiK 02-07-2002 03:08 PM

Good post Blade, and lest it not be cleer, I do value my sons and other teens input...I just dislike it when it is spewed out in a oh so superior smug attitude as if the adults of the world know nothing [img]smile.gif[/img] I think its all in the attitude.

Neb 02-07-2002 03:08 PM

I'm a teen myself, and I realize that there are lots of things that I do not know, and lots of people older than me who do know those things.

It's different with parents though, I can say that for sure....

Vaskez 02-07-2002 03:56 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blade:
Not all of us think like that though a great person once said something like this "to be truly great you must know what you don't know" i can truthfully say i don't know many things. <hr></blockquote>

Really? How gracious of you! ;) :D
You are stating the very obvious and actually understating it. In fact, for anyone, the number of things they don't know is infinitely greater than the number of things they do know.

Being not much older than the specified age bracket, I think I can rightfully comment:
I never thought/still don't think I am very knowledgable at all on the subjects mentioned. I have great respect for older people when it comes to their wisdom. However, I maintain that I probably know more about those subjects than say, someone 5 years younger than me.

MILAMBER 02-07-2002 04:13 PM

I don't think wisdom is the right word. It seems like you're talking about intelligence, not wisdom. I know when I was a teenager I thought I was smarter then everybody, but I would never NEVER argue that I had wisdom in any way shape or form. My actions during that time in my life proved this countless times :D

Sir Kenyth 02-07-2002 05:54 PM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blade:
Not all of us think like that though a great person once said something like this "to be truly great you must know what you don't know" <hr></blockquote>

You nailed it on the head big guy! Children find it very hard to comprehend the amount they don't know. It's called innocence and naievity. As a matter of fact, once you hit your 30s the stuff you realize starts getting downright scary! Particularly when you realize just how fragile some things are that you took for granted when younger. The fact that life isn't forever and tragedy happens every day. The fact that there are many in this world who would take everything you own and hold dear just to further themselves or be amused. A couple of recent examples are the WTC and the ENRON scandal.