Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Patch won't install (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32840)

Ward 09-03-2004 11:37 AM

Hi Everyone,
I've tried to install the patch but I get the following message:-" this application has failed to start because MSS32.DLL was not found.Re-installing the application may fix this problem"This probably means something to you clever people,but I don't have a clue!Does re-installing the application refer to the patch or the game?I've re-installed the patch but it has made no difference.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Bungleau 09-03-2004 11:59 AM

Hmmm... that's not good. I last installed the patch by simply copying over the three or four files in it. The odds are better that that .dll file is missing or corrupt. Can you find it on your system?

I'll have to take a look around later for what it really means...

jsalsb 09-03-2004 12:20 PM

Hi Ward.

Are you sure it's exactly "mss32.dll"? not a slightly different filename? Because I have nothing by that name in any directory on any of my systems (although many closely named files). If by chance the name is wrong, then perhaps try getting the right filename and copying the file from some other computer to the same directory on yours. (I'd email it to you but most servers won't allow sending of .dll files)

Just occurred to me: what windows are you running? I'm on XP so if you are on a different version, I might not actually have that dll.

When "installing" the patch, did you just copy and paste the new extracted files into the W&W directory? Not try to run the deep6.exe file?

good luck! I'll help more if I can!

Wyvern 09-03-2004 02:40 PM

Are you sure you need/want the patch???

Generally we only recommend that players try using the patch if all other options have failed first. I've never patched my game and never had any difficulties. In the Best Tips thread there is a list of what the patch does do and what it takes away as well.

Wyv

Ward 09-03-2004 03:59 PM

Hi All,
Sorry I'm so late replying but I forgot to tick the "send Email when I get a reply" box and I just logged in on an offchance!
I'm using Win.xp pro. and I both copied and pasted AND ran the deep6exe.file,was that my mistake?
Many thanks for all of your help,
Ward

Bungleau 09-03-2004 04:45 PM

The deep6.exe file is the actual W&W program. So if you tried to run it from the patch directory, it plum won't work :(

You need to copy it and the rest of the patch files to the W&W directory. They'll replace existing files, and once that's done, you simply run W&W like normal and you're now patched :D

If you're a wee bit paranoid like me, you might also have copied the original files to a different name so that if you want, you can unpatch fairly quickly. But that's not a required step...

So... let us know how that goes. My gaming machine won't be available until later tonight, so I can't check anything at the moment. But I will later...

Ward 09-03-2004 05:18 PM

Hi Bungleau,
Yes that seems to work fine,up until now I've been starting the game via the Auto-run on the cd,but now it starts with deep6 exe.
Many thanks for all the help,
Ward