Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I just can't stand it... (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2971)

Luvian 01-27-2003 07:34 PM

I only played and completed BG1 when it was new, and since then, I never managed to get myself to play the game again.

I tried again today. But I have become spoiled by the newest infinity engine games's graphics, and I can't stand BG1. I was only able to play long enough to buy item at the inn and then circle around the main keep, before getting bored to death and logging off.

Does anyone else has that problem?

andrewas 01-27-2003 07:42 PM

Usually lasts an hour or two. After that you adjust to the resolution, lack of TAB highlighting, and so on and so forth.

Definately worth playing once you get used to it though. Amazing how much fun it is, going back to the beginning. It would be ace if there was an update for the engine though.

Angelousss 01-27-2003 07:45 PM

actually i barely notice the graphics but unfourtanetly i can't play it for another reason. My disc two is scratched. i've wanted to take a character straight through both games for a while and cant

pritchke 01-27-2003 07:47 PM

Most of us here have no problem with BG1 as we love it for just being a great game.

As a friend I am warning you to flee now. :D

I hear there is an army of Kobolds in the vicinity led by the evil halfling Mr. Baggins who is likely to have them flog you, and have you for lunch.

In all serious though the graphics do not bother me a great deal. I can on occasion play Ultima 4, or M&M 3 to 5 for fun. Now those are bad graphics.

[ 01-27-2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]

Lord Brass 01-27-2003 07:58 PM

Don't worry Luvian, isn't there supposed to be a BG1 to BG2 conversion. Wouldn't that be nice.

'Course, it could just be smoke and mirrors; I can't remember where I saw it, so I'll go and have a look.

Edit: Thought so. Have a look at <a href="http://www.teambg.net/forum/?board=24;action=display;threadid=6635">this</a href> from Bardez. (Took this off of the <a href="www.teambg.com">TeamBG</a href> forum.)

[ 01-27-2003, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]

Luvian 01-27-2003 10:43 PM

All I really care about is a good looking BG1. I would buy it if Bioware released one, but I would not mind a complete trilogy.

Arledrian 01-27-2003 11:12 PM

Have you tried playing BG I in window mode? It gives you crystal clear graphics. I just do that, set the mouse scroll speed to 'high' and the game is fast and fluid enough for me [img]smile.gif[/img]

Luvian 01-28-2003 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Arledrian:
Have you tried playing BG I in window mode? It gives you crystal clear graphics. I just do that, set the mouse scroll speed to 'high' and the game is fast and fluid enough for me [img]smile.gif[/img]
Cool! That's a lot better! Of course the game is a little small while in 1024x768, and it's strange to have to move my mouse at the end of my desktop to move the game screen, but I can get used to that!

Luvian 01-28-2003 03:15 AM

What is the max level, in B1? I forgot. I probably lost my manual somewhere, too.

Also, what do bard songs do, exactly? I never played a bard before.

Masklinn 01-28-2003 07:28 AM

IIRC :
You're capped at 89 000 xp with BG1 (161 000 with TotSC intstalled).
So that makes :
Level 7 for Warriors (8 with TotSC)
Level 8 for Priests (10 with TotSC)
Level 8 for Thieves (10 with TotSC)
Level 7 for Mages (9 with TotSC)

And the bard song boosts your team stats, though the bard cant fight while singing. I don't know specificly what stats it increases, never played a bard nor had one in my team [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yeah, after 1 hour of BG1 you get used to the graphics and you can fully enjoy the game.

:D