Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A question for all you east coasters that live in hurricane country (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91518)

Arvon 09-05-2004 11:54 AM

Why is it when a storm is predicted we see news pictures of the entire area at Home Depot or whereever buying plywood? Don't you people keep it and store it in the garage so you're ready for the next storm? I'd think you'd go buy it in off storm season, drill it, fit it, and label it before the next storm.

Felix The Assassin 09-05-2004 12:06 PM

Arvon, do you have any idea of what 80-140 mph wind can do? The plywood protects the structure of the window, and helps to reduce the amount of water that gets blown in. Rocks, trees, cars and such go right through the plywood. Then it has holes in it, but still can reduce further damage it it remains attached. Usually when the storm is over, the plywood is soaked, warped, shredded, blown three blocks away, or all of the above, rendering it pretty much useless. When it becomes back to back storms, money is usually tight, and getting more plywood was not the first priority, until the path is predicted.

I left Fla OCT 1981, and don't plan to reside there after retirement.

[ 09-05-2004, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Arvon 09-05-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Arvon, do you have any idea of what 80-140 mph wind can do? The plywood protects the structure of the window, and helps to reduce the amount of water that gets blown in. Rocks, trees, cars and such go right through the plywood. Then it has holes in it, but still can reduce further damage it it remains attached. Usually when the storm is over, the plywood is soaked, warped, shredded, blown three blocks away, or all of the above, rendering it pretty much useless. When it becomes back to back storms, money is usually tight, and getting more plywood was not the first priority, until the path is predicted.

I left Fla OCT 1981, and don't plan to reside there after retirement.

If all of that is true (and I believe it) then after a couple of times the expanse of steel shutters would be worth it. In lieu of that, move.

Stormymystic 09-05-2004 03:12 PM

to answer your question, the main reason people do not buy and store plywood, is because the longer it is in normal storage the weaker it gets. where at the home depot, they are kept in climate controlled storage, so they are stronger [img]smile.gif[/img] plus it is just more fun to wait until the last minute to buy ;)

Donut 09-05-2004 05:08 PM

I don't suppose anyone can pop up to Lake Buena Vista to check on my property?

Larry_OHF 09-05-2004 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stormymystic:
to answer your question, the main reason people do not buy and store plywood, is because the longer it is in normal storage the weaker it gets. where at the home depot, they are kept in climate controlled storage, so they are stronger [img]smile.gif[/img] plus it is just more fun to wait until the last minute to buy ;)
<font color=skyblue>Lol! Too true... :D </font>

[ 09-05-2004, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

Sir Goulum 09-05-2004 05:39 PM

My solution: Move to a boring place in the middle of no-where like Edmonton so you don't have to buy plywood and worry about hurricanes! ;)

Gangrell 09-05-2004 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
My solution: Move to a boring place in the middle of no-where like Edmonton so you don't have to buy plywood and worry about hurricanes! ;)
Or in the middle of the states, whichever you prefer :D

aleph_null1 09-05-2004 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gangrell:
Or in the middle of the states, whichever you prefer :D
Except the middle of the states is Tornado Alley -- my home is outside St. Louis, MO.

I'd take a nice hurricane that you can see days in advance over freaky unexpected tornadoes ripping up random houses left & right, for sure...

Arvon 09-05-2004 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stormymystic:
Horse pucky! You ever been in Home Depot? There's no climate control there!!! Just hotter than the hinges of hell in the summer and colder that a witches..er never mind.